Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions please... >

Suggestions please...

Suggestions please...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:45 AM

I agree with many of the above suggestions. I have 5 LQS within a 30 minute drive from me, and I try to hit them all and give them some business.
Sales are a great way to get customers in, great customer service is also vital so they come back, sew-ins and affordable classes get people in your stores too. Each LQS should have a sign-up sheet so first-time customers can sign-up for the shop's newsletter an stay updated and coming back.
One of the shops near here is starting free demos every month, I think it is a cool way to get quilters in to brush up on techniques or learn new ones for free, and I bet many will leave with a little something from the shop.
Also, guest speakers are a huge draw to quilters.
I guess I am trying to say, whatever the shop can do to lure people in, will likely encourage sales, because most of use would likely leave with something.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM

lessons- lessons- and more lessons-....AND quilting groups to meet at the shop.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 AM

I am on a VERY tight budget, but travel 45 minutes instead of 8 minutes to go to a particular quilt shop because they not only run specials, but the owner is very friendly and helpful.
She happens to be a dealer, too, and honored my warranty even though I didn't purchase my machine there. She gave me free owners lessons, too and lets me use her machine since I'm disabled. Now that's customer service, but it works! She has gained many people from my town even though her stock isn't quite as big. She has an e-newsletter with all the classes and sales for the month.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM

If they have large tables they can offer a place to pin/baste quilt tops. It is very true that samples sell so giving a discount on fabric in exchange for samples is often good. And the customer wants all her friends to go in and see her quilt hanging! Also some have midarms or long arms or even "class" sewing machines to be rented. Try it you might buy it!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 AM

We have a shop close by that has a $5 BOM. It runs for 12 months and each month you must show up at the appointed time and bring your completed block. Then you get your next one free. There is a catch - it must be completed (or you are charged another $5 for the next month), then you sit through about an hour of show&tell, here is what is new in the shop and this is what is upcoming. She also does a free "hand work only" sit and sew sometimes on a Sunday afternoon as well as Quilts of Valor and Pillowcase days. All of which are free and gets folks into the shop. It is not unusual to have long lines those days at the cutting table.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Yes, I think a low cost BOM would bring folks in the door, and once there, likely to spend. All I know is that I felt more welcome at the LQSs in Kansas 15 yrs ago than now. I do perceive that snobbery sometimes. Sad, b/c I'm blessed to have a good job, I don't have to get approval from my hubby for any expense, and I like quality. They don't know what they're missing. B/c I prefer local shopping, but I don't get any attitude online!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 AM

In one of my lqs,we had a free sew in day,this one happened to be Friday. we brought lunch or went out as a group, One of the owners would sew with us. Most of the time the other owner,would go to the shelves and pick out some fabrics and would have and instant sale. Did well with it as all of us would ooooh and awww over it an reach for the same bolt. lol
Old 01-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Sales are always good. Sales always make me think that I am getting a deal. One LQS accepts 1 Joann's coupon on Sat during month, Another has 20% off sale on all fabric when month has 5 Saturdays. Most will give discount by % or $ off after buying so much fabric. One reason that I do not like Walmart is that they never have sales even though their prices are usually cheaper.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
sales of course. maybe some small affordable classes and just some sew in's where quilters can get together just to sew and chat. door prizes once a month.
I agree, They need to keep the class fee less. Ater we spend for all the supplies and the classes. We have some VERY EXPENSIVE quilts!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM

The idea of free classes is great. Keep them small. Have introductory classes. There are a lot of people out there who are not quilters yet, but would like to know what all the talk is about. Boy if you can get a couple of new quilters a month look at the potentional