Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for Quilt Pattern Organizing??  PLEASE!! >

Suggestions for Quilt Pattern Organizing?? PLEASE!!

Suggestions for Quilt Pattern Organizing?? PLEASE!!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 AM

So far, my organizational technique is the same as Phannie1's. I am going to bookmark this conversation to see if someone has an idea that will work for me. In the beginning, when I got the internet, I printed out most of the Quilter's Cache patterns before I realized they would still be there. Then, I printed out nearly everyone of Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville patterns, several of them twice, then a lot of the fabric companies' free patterns, plus lots others before I even realized I could save them to the computer. So, after using up a couple hundred dollars in ink supplies, I have LOTS of patterns, both on paper and on the computer. Organized I am not! Which is frustrating when I know I have the pattern--somewhere!

Joyce
Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 AM

It is alright to keep them on your computer but also take a three ring binder and place a copy of your patterns in it. Computers can crash sometimes and you will loose all your patterns.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 AM

I use both methods. Computers and a 3 ring notebook. When I save an internet pattern (so many free ones out there) it goes into a quilting folder that has many subfolders. Some of mine are author, size, type, difficulty, etc. Some patterns go more than one place.

Than when I've worked on one, or if it is on my bucket list, I print it out and it goes into a plastic sleeve in my binder. Also pattens I take, or photo, out of magazines are in this binder. The binder is subdivided into areas much as my computer.

My computer is also set to back up to an external hard drive every night so my files are safe if my computer crashes. I've had 2 crashes so am more careful now.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

I found it easier to have 2 computer files. One is the entire file and one is just the picture. I can sit and browse pictures without waiting for the entir file to open. Then I do have like a couple of folders - scrap patterns, fat quarter patterns, tablerunners, totes - like that
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

Best money you can ever spend - carbonite.com. For like $65 a year it saves everything on your computer. Even when I replaced mine instead of relaoding everything I just uploaded my saved data. I'm not connected with company just a happy customer

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
It is alright to keep them on your computer but also take a three ring binder and place a copy of your patterns in it. Computers can crash sometimes and you will loose all your patterns.