Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sun Bonnet Sue applique help >
  • Sun Bonnet Sue applique help

• Sun Bonnet Sue applique help

Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 AM

I like this very much. By using the dark squares, Sue really stands out. Thanks for the idea. How long did this take you to do by hand?
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I use steam to seam, or maybe the name is reversed, I always get it backwards. Any way, there is paper on both sides.
    what I like is that it makes your applique pieces sort of like the old time colorforms we played with as children. It will adhere to the fabric but you can pick it up and move it around until your placement is where you want it. Then, when you are happy with placement you can iron it on. After that, I blanket stitch around all.
    Old 01-22-2011, 06:52 AM

As long as it's light weight it doesn't give stiff results. My friend always uses blanket stitch, but I usually do a close zigzag stitch. That way it never frays through washings and has the look of a picture being outlined. I know I've said it before, but it's like outlining I did as a child when coloring pictures in a coloring book.
    Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 AM

It took awhile to finish all the hand work on Windblown Sue, and with the bit of embroidery, and doing 'blind' appluque where no stitches show on top, it was time consuming, but I worked on it while I watched TV, it was also a take-along project, I could take just one square in a plastic bag in my purse and do the applique/embroidery when I was waiting at the doctors office, during break at work, etc. I did do some cussing at those little ladies when things didn't go right, which tickled my husband, but glad I did it all by hand. My mom was most proud of me I think, she loves hand applique and could not longer see well enough, but she was happy I acquired a liking for it from her.
    Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    it's a light weight fusible interfacing. has tiny bumps on the fusible side. you lay the fusible side on the front of the fabric with the drawn pattern on the smooth side. stitch on the drawn lines and snip an area to turn it right side out (if necessary to snip). this turning places the bumpy side of the fusible on the back now and all the raw edges are inside. fuse to your background fabric and stitch in place. i did blanket stitches.
    I am also working on the SunBonnet Sue and Sam quilt by Eleanor Burns. This is the same way that she tells you to do it and that is how I am doing it. It seems to be the easiest way with her method to have finished edges before top stitching.
    Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 AM

As you can see by the other posts, there are many ways to applique. They all work; it is just a matter of preference in the look you want and the durability.

I am presently doing that block from Eleanor Burns book and I don't always use interfacing. But, if the fabric is thin and you will get shadowing from a darker fabric it is good to block that. I am turning all my edges in for this quilt. I have not done any embellishments yet because this is for a 5 yr old who has 5 younger siblings and we don't want buttons, bows or other loose things for a baby's mouth.

Just a comment: I went to JoAnn's yesterday to get some interfacing. I wanted white featherweight iron on. Their black featherweight was just right. Oh me, I wanted white. But, their white heavyweight was thinner and more flexible than their white featherweight. Somehow, I think the Pellon company got their labels mixed up. And, all my local JoAnn's had was the Pellon brand. I bought a few yards because it was 50% off and I will use it. But, I also have a 50% coupon for Hancock's and will try them this weekend.

some of the blocks, there are a lot more done now.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]165395[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-165390.jpe  
    Old 01-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
    I want to get started on DD's SB Sue quilt. I have the book by Eleanor Burns and she says to use iron on interfacing. What is the best kind to use? And what would happen if you don't use interfacing? And do you have to iron the edges under or can I just blanket stitch them?

I have never done appique before.
    I saw Eleanor demonstrate this technique on PBS years ago. I made my grandson a bear quilt using pre-printed fabric. Used light weight fusible interfacing,the kind with bumps on one side. Used an "old fashioned" pinking sheers to trim around the bears before turning. Used invisible thread with a narrow stitch used for hemming to secure the applique. It looks very close to hand work. I trimmed out the excess fabric from the back before hand quilting.

In hind sight this was way too much work for a child, by the time he received his quilt, he was past the teddy bear stage.

When I made a quilt for his little brother, I picked a familiar pattern that was easy to strip piece and machine quilt. He received his in time for his first birthday. Considering I was in a rehab center for four months and on home care for another two months that year, it is a miracle that he even got a quilt. Jacob is sitting on his Jacob's Ladder quilt in my avatar.
    Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB
    I want to get started on DD's SB Sue quilt. I have the book by Eleanor Burns and she says to use iron on interfacing. What is the best kind to use? And what would happen if you don't use interfacing? And do you have to iron the edges under or can I just blanket stitch them?

I have never done appique before.
    I love applique guilts..I made my granddaughter a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt and I used a little bit of glue stick and hem stitched the applique I had no trouble and the quilt came out adorable. But use what ever suits you best. I myself am going to try the serger next time I applique, it not only stitches the edges but cuts at the same time. Seems interesting... :roll:
    Old 01-22-2011, 09:01 AM

I love appliqué, I think I have done about every kind there is. I do use the Eleanor Burns method. If are a beginner it is simply a no fuss way to start. Without the interfacing and the edges turned under it is called Needle Turn appliqué and you can google it to see. There is a learning curve with it and it needs to be hand done, is not as sturdy as machine appliqué in the wash. What are you making this quilt for, if it is daily use then by all means use some kind of machine appliqué. If you use the interfacing method then get the lightest weight you can find. If you have not seen the video on this then go to the quilt in a day media center web site and view it. That should give you some very clear instructions.
    Old 01-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions!!! I so greatly appreciate any and all help I get. I love how the blanket stitch looks, but will try the satin stitch and see how it looks.

If I know DD, this quilt will be kept to just look at.