Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Super Easy Potholders

I found a listing for a super easy potholder--10 inch square with 4- 10 square fabric folded in half and weaved together on top of a base with insul-bright and then turned inside out. It works really well, but I made it with a 7 1/2 inch base. It turned out to be an easier working size for me. If anyone can find that utube tutorial again--please add it. It's a great house warming gift--or a quick something to take to a guild exchange.

Blog Entries

that's it, thanks--folks these are the easiest

Blog Entries
    That was one of the best tutorials I have seen! I really liked when they fast-forwarded and played the egg-timer like sound. Very cute!

Could you do a decorative stitch on the loose edges of the squares to finish it off? With my luck, I would get a handle of a hot pan caught and make a mess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    That was one of the best tutorials I have seen! I really liked when they fast-forwarded and played the egg-timer like sound. Very cute!

Could you do a decorative stitch on the loose edges of the squares to finish it off? With my luck, I would get a handle of a hot pan caught and make a mess.
    I was thinking the same thing. I would stitch maybe a zigzag or a fancy stitch to hold those edges together and quilt through everything. I would even edge stitch around.

I think I would too, just so everything is secure.

Can you use batting or do you need something special for the interior?

Blog Entries
    I use insul brite

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...=Google%20Base

Quote Originally Posted by melslove

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melslove
    You should use Insulbrite. It has a foil inner lining with batting on both sides of that. It is easy to find both on the internet and at Joanns. I love it and use it all the time for my potholders.

I got my insulbright at walmart

I will frequently make up a quick block pattern to see how it looks. Then I turn it into a potholder and either keep it or give it away. They make great little gifts and it is a good use for all those blocks. Sometimes have to fiddle a bit to get it potholder size.

This is similar to the ones from stichinluvr's tute on this board :) I have made some from the tute & plan to make more! I even made some "kits" for my MIL & three SILs when they were all here for the MN Quilt Shop Hop! (OK, I intended to make them & put them in their "Shop Hop Survival Kits, but I ran out of time!) We spent two days Shop Hopping, had a lot of fun, & came home with some great fabrics, patterns & ideas!!!! :D

walmart would be really handy, but ours just did away with their fabric department and the whole store is in remodel mode. :(

my granddaughter saw the ones I made for her mom and we decided that this was something she could make for her other gram and great-gram for Christmas. She's only 10, but is becoming more adept at the machine. I think I'll just cut hers a little bigger so she can use wider seams--then we'll cut them down before turning