Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM

I am an avid unplugger, and have been for some time. I read that there are some devices if left plugged in, but off still use a small amount of energy. I am already paying New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG) way more than necessary. I did pay for the top of the line surge protector, and have never been sorry.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Brownouts or dimming can create more problems and fires
All electronics work perfectly find even when incandescent bulbs dim to less than 50% intensity. I who design electronics must meet that and other standards. We routinely reduce voltages even lower to learn at what point it simply powers off.

Electronics must work perfectly normal at voltages that would be harmful to the furnace, dish washer, and refrigerator. If that voltage goes lower, electronics simply turns off. No damage must even happen. But that low voltage can be harmful to any motorized appliance.

Meanwhile a UPS connects the sewing machine directly to AC mains when not in battery backup mode. Where is the protection? Some of the 'dirtiest' power seen by any appliance is the UPS in battery backup mode. So 'dirty' as to be harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. And perfectly ideal for any electronic appliance.

If a UPS does what so many have claimed, then unique manufacturer specifications can be provided. Good luck finding those numbers. Meanwhile, electronics are so robust that 'dirtiest' power from a UPS (in battery backup mode) is not harmful. A UPS has only one function. To provide temporary (and dirtiest) power during a blackout.

So how often are your lights dimming to 50% intensity? Rarely? Never? They why spend £50 on a UPS? Its only purpose - temporary and dirty power during a blackout.

The original post asked for surge protection. No UPS claims that surge protection. But again, because this defines which solutions actually work. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Effective protectors connect 'less than 3 meters' to that single point ground. Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Products with obscene profit margins hope you never learn that important fact.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
I am an avid unplugger, and have been for some time. I read that there are some devices if left plugged in, but off still use a small amount of energy. I am already paying New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG) way more than necessary. I did pay for the top of the line surge protector, and have never been sorry.
Some of the posts here are getting rather technical, basically IMO PunkQuilter you are doing the right thing by being an unplugger :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM

I have my computer and all tvs on surge protectors and if I had a computerized sewing machine I would definitely have it on one, too.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM

I unplug my sewing machine every time I'm not working on it. Somehow everything else doesn't seem as important. lol. It is all on surge protectors though. Our main computer is on a UPS. Everything else on regular protectors from staples.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have my computer and all tvs on surge protectors
Then you may have made TV damage easier. An IEEE brochure demonstrated this with a picture. A protector too close to a TV and too far from earth ground simply earthed that surge 8000 volts destructively through the TV.

Again, it is this simple. Either a protector connects as short as possible to earth ground. Or it does nothing useful. If too far from earth, it can sometimes make appliance damage easier.

Most assume it must do something only because it is called a protector. Protectors that are useful connect energy harmlessly to earth. Protectors that are profit center are located adjacent to applainces.

And then view those scary pictures. Does the phrase 'house fire' have significance?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM

I have my machine and Ott light plugged into a surge protector. I just unplug the whole thing when I'm not sewing.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

The best two words on here are " House Fire ". It is so easy to unplug our machines when not in use as opposed to replacing machines ruined by surges or direct lightning hits. Escaping a fire also might be a consideration.
Friends, be safe, not sorry.....UNPLUG !!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Buy the more expensive surge protectors. No sense in trying to save a buck or two when it is concerning our expensive machines~
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Buy the more expensive surge protectors. No sense in trying to save a buck or two when it is concerning our expensive machines
At what point does it finally become obvious. Take a $3 power strip. Add some ten cent protector parts. Sell it for $7 in the grocery store. Or buy a similar protector circuit under a Monster label for $150. When promoting something that is a profit center, price does not define better quality. The superior solution also costs less money.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Therefore a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

How do you unplug a dishwasher, furnace, dimmer switches, and the most critical appliance during a surge – smoke detectors? You don’t.