Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 AM

I always unplug my machine when I'm not using it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 AM

This whole thread has been quite helpful! I am going to start unplugging. I have surge protectors on but see that these are not enough now that I have a new Janome Horizen. Certainly want to protect it!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 AM

I have battery back up on both my Long Arm and Regular Machines. it was recommended when we purchased the long arm to have it. My understanding with the battery backup, is that it will give you about 20 minutes if the electricity goes out to properly shut it down and unplug. But that it is still very important to unplug asap.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by westom
Originally Posted by Mariposa
Buy the more expensive surge protectors. No sense in trying to save a buck or two when it is concerning our expensive machines
At what point does it finally become obvious. Take a $3 power strip. Add some ten cent protector parts. Sell it for $7 in the grocery store. Or buy a similar protector circuit under a Monster label for $150. When promoting something that is a profit center, price does not define better quality. The superior solution also costs less money.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Therefore a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

How do you unplug a dishwasher, furnace, dimmer switches, and the most critical appliance during a surge – smoke detectors? You don’t.
Lord love all engineers! :roll: I am married to one and your answers are so familiar! For all us electronic simpletons, please just cut to the chase and tell us what to buy. How does one "ground" a sewing machine? How do we know whether what we already have is doing any good, or how much good? The standard in our house is buy a middle range price strip for each item; replace them every couple of years; unplug computers, tvs, microwaves and sewing machines when thunderstorms are in the offing. What do you do? Thanks for all your input :!:
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 AM

I have mine plugged into a power strip. I wasn't thinking about the sewing machine being electronic. Guess I'd better swap it for a surge protector since the outlet isn't easy to reach.

For those of us that have UPS's, the batteries need to be replaced periodically. They're no good if the battery is dead.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM

I have kept up with this thread but please explain why when my business took a direct hit, it fried everything that was not on an UPS but turned on that day. Everything on the UPS came thru unscathed. I had $180,000. claim for our business. Insurance paid but demanded everything be put on the UPS system. I have lost equipment due to brownouts at home. We get them 3-4 times a week. Blows light bulbs, toasters, whatever is on at the time. They dim down then "POP". They are gone. I will stick with UPS as long as I am compliant with the insurance company, thank you. If your house or office is properly grounded then these devices are automatically grounded, "to the earth".
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 AM

I don't know the difference but my brother runs the electronics at Walmart and I grab him by the arm and get the one I need.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I have mine plugged into a power strip. I wasn't thinking about the sewing machine being electronic. Guess I'd better swap it for a surge protector since the outlet isn't easy to reach.

For those of us that have UPS's, the batteries need to be replaced periodically. They're no good if the battery is dead.
Just to add, some of these (at least mine does) will beep when low or if the electricity is shut off.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Thought I would just throw this in here-----make sure you use one on anything with a computerized panel-----washing machines etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 AM

surge protectors only protect from power sirges not from lighting. lighting will melt even large protectors, i could not beleave what lighting could dom it melted my APC surge protector on my computer