Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 PM

I didn't know there was a difference either, but I do noticed that they are different colors and I thought that is why the price difference, but I guess not.
Yes I do plug my machine into a surge protector. My husband makes sure that I do. Every electronic thing in cluding apartment sized washer and dryer are plugged into a surge protector.
I have a sad story that involved a surge protector.
About 10 years ago, my friend saved up enough money to finally buy her family a computer. She bought it at Staples for Christmas. She was really happy with what they sold her since she knew nothing about computers. She gets it home, kids are in bed, they get a surge protector and it was a nice one at that plug it in all ready for morning to come and to see the excitement on their faces to see they finally did get a computer. They lived in an old old single wide mobile home and directly behind their house was one of those transformer big old huge things for the electric up on a power pole. It was storming and raining and thunder and lightning. Well, a lightning strike hit that power pole and went into their mobile home and FRIED the computer, EVERY SINGLE thing that they had plugged in. Stove and refrigerator, TV, everything. All the other mobile homes and many many many homes were affected. So, the surge protector did no good, but this was not in the least the fault of the surge protector. The power company paid alot of people for their damage and didn't put up a fuss about it at all. Luckily my friend had Renters Insurance and it covered all her losses.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM

i think we are all missing the point about surge it is very diffrent than from lighting you can get a whole house surge protector but again it won't protect from lighting
Old 01-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Yes. Unplug your machine anytime you are not using it.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Okay, what is the correct surge protector? I suggest one with the highest rated joules with insurance. If you are looking for brand names I highly recommend APC or TRIPPLITE. IMO, these are the two best brands made. APC makes the battery back up UPS units but also make surge protectors. They come with a limited amount insurance but the insurance is very quick to pay.

My past experience is over 30 years in the computer/electronic industry and a BS in Electronics. As a business owner, when a computer system was sold to a customer an APC surge protector was included in the price.

If you do purchase either one of these units, PLEASE read the instructions for registering your unit so that your insurance will be in affect.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM

I use one now since this last fall the lightning hit my sewing machine and they had to put a new motherboard in. $ 275.00 was the damage. Hopefully this will never happen again.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Every electrical item that I own is plugged into a surge protector. I had new items wiped out when I was in college, so don't let it happen again. I was fortunate in that my dad was an electrical engineer and advised me on best items etc., and my phone has the same protection. My boards cost about $250 each, but probably cheaper in the 'States. We have surges daily and blackouts weekly.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Wow! What great information. I will be putting my machine on a good surge protector in the morning. Thank you so much for the insight.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:44 PM

We have surge protectors for all our electronics. I have 3 in my sewing room. It makes it nice because when I go in I just step on the surgers and everything is on and when I leave I step on the surgers to shut everything off. (the surgers have have the foot button.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:41 PM

I have my machine in a surge protector, my power company has surges in splurges, during really bad storms tho I unplug my machine.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I know there is a diffrence but I don't remember the whole info I was given once by a guy in Home Depot.