Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Years ago I lost my Viking to lightning and it was in a surge protector.
Originally Posted by JJs
We are REMC so I use surge protectors on just about everything (computers are on UPS)

I usually buy the highest rated strip protector - why chinch on a $20 surge protector if you are using a $4000 sewing machine?

During storms everything is unplugged - even stuff on surge protectors/UPS - they can't handle a surge from a lightning strike.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM

I have an expensive embroidery/sewing machine, I unplug it every time I shut the machine down. That way I don't have to worry!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sassylass
Originally Posted by Dingle
I don't unplug my machine when I'm done. Are you telling me I should wheather there is a storm or not?
I unplug mine for peace of mind.

sass
I also unplug my machines after use. (I have a bead bracelet that I wear when machines (including irons) are plugged in and bracelet is stored on the cords when unplugged.) I will have to check with my sewing machine shop about the surge protector because I read where these computerized machines should not be plugged into a surge protector.
Now I'm really confused. (Doesn't take much.)
Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Something to think about: I was taking a class today and the instructor told me that when I go to a class, that I should "always bring" a surge protector with me to plug my machine into. You never know when the power may surge and blow out your sewing machine.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 PM

I don't have a computerized machine, but when I purchased my machine so many years ago the Bernina dealer recommended that I get into the habit of unplugging my machine every time I quit sewing if it was going to be for an hour or more, and I never sew during a rain storm. When we have a rain storm here we usually have an electrical storm with it much of the time no rain, just an electrical storm.
I have always unplugged the power cord to the machine. I don't bother with unplugging the cord from the outlet. I know I can afford to replace a cord a lot cheaper than my machine. Now it is such a habit, that it's like turning a light on and off. When I stop sewing, I unplug, that way I know for sure there won't be any electrical surge or damage going to the machine.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Every electrical item that I own is plugged into a surge protector. I had new items wiped out when I was in college, so don't let it happen again. I was fortunate in that my dad was an electrical engineer and advised me on best items etc., and my phone has the same protection. My boards cost about $250 each, but probably cheaper in the 'States. We have surges daily and blackouts weekly.
Sorry to stray from the subject, but I noticed you were from Australia. I hope you have been safe from all of the flooding down there. I have watched on the news about the terrible flooding and so many have lost their lives and property. Hope you and yours are all safe. Take Care. Gerbie
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 PM

I did get an expensive one when I purchased my Bernina 830. It's much cheaper than replacing the machine after a power surge.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by so-sew
I'm wondering how many of you fine people have your sewing machines (especially the computerized ones) plugged into surge protectors. If so, what is the rating for your surge protector? When I went to Walmart to look at them, there were different varieties for different applications ie. small appliances, home entertainment, etc. The ones rated for larger electronics were of course more expensive. I don't really understand the need for different kinds...isn't a power surge going to trip the breaker regardless of what is plugged into it? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. :?:

My Bernina Dealer said that I needed one at least 1200 Joules. The dealer also said that some are only power strips and to be sure and get a SURGE PROTECTOR. I got mine from Walmart and it ran about $20.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM

I went to a electronics store and purchased the same type of surge protector that I use for my computer, I also have my Ott lights plugged into the, we live in the mountains, so because of lightning storms, I unplug almost everything I can :-o
Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM

I have my computerized sewing machine pluged into a very expensive surge protector which in turn is pluged into another surge protector. I turn off the first protector when not in use and unplug my machine from it.
This is probably over kill but then I figure the price of my sewing machine makes makes it all worth while.