Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carron
I have my computerized sewing machine pluged into a very expensive surge protector which in turn is pluged into another surge protector. I turn off the first protector when not in use and unplug my machine from it.
This is probably over kill but then I figure the price of my sewing machine makes makes it all worth while.
Now is turning off the surge protector enough without unplugging the machine?
Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 PM

thank you crashnquilt - this is some good info and I will be sending it out to all my friends and guild members - you gave us all some good information that might save some of lots of money
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 AM

ScowlKat you have made my day I will be thinking of you and smiling
Old 01-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluadept
According to my hubbie the surge protectors are rated by how much power that is coming in that it would protect against. So if you are in a place that gets alot of power surges and brown out or lighting storms, you would want a higher rated protector.
Now view its number. UPS has many hundreds of joules. A power strip might be a thousand joules. Surges that do damage are hundreds of thousands of joules. IOW near zero. And just enough above zero so that advertising can hype it into 100% protection.

That is a problem with 'hearing' what works. Low voltage harms no electronics. An electronic sewing machine will work fine even when lights dim to 50% intensity. Low voltage is harmful to motorized appliances - refrigerator, dish washer, and furnace. Not to electronic appliances.

If protecting from low voltage, then a UPS is required for the washing machine and air conditioner. Myths about low voltage promote a UPS that also has near zero protection. Protection inside a UPS is even samller than that in power strips.

How do hundreds of joules protect from surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules. A surge too small to damage anything may easily damage a protector. Failure promotes sales. Then a homeowner will assume the protector is a one shot device. Nonsense. If grossly undersized, a protector fails during irrelevant surges. Near zero joules promotes assumptions also called myths.

Unplugging is also ineffective. Destructive surges occur without warning. Means everything else must also be unplugged including a stove. Surges are made irrelevant by one 'whole house' protector. Only a ‘whole house’ protector earths destructive surges, remains functional, and makes unplugging clock radios unnecessary.

This simply repeats what was read in those previous posts. Informed homeowners earth one 'whole house' protector. Waste no money on mythical power strip protectors. And learn why a UPS outputs some of the 'dirtiest' electricity.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carron
I have my computerized sewing machine pluged into a very expensive surge protector which in turn is pluged into another surge protector.
An expensive protector is the same circuit that sells for $7 in the grocery store. Superior 'whole hosue' protector costs about $1 per protected appliance. Why spend so much more for something that does less? Advertising.

How do millimeters in a switch stop something that three miles of sky could not stop? How do those hundreds of joules aborb surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules. You stil have zero protection. Since its joules are near zero (not zero), then it can claim 100% protection in advertising. They are not lying. It is 100% protection from tiny surges that cause no damage. And does nothing for destructive surges.

They cannot lie in spec numbers. Read those numbers. Hundreds of joules. Near zero protection. They are selling an image; a profit center because you paid so much.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by westom
Originally Posted by bluadept
According to my hubbie the surge protectors are rated by how much power that is coming in that it would protect against. So if you are in a place that gets alot of power surges and brown out or lighting storms, you would want a higher rated protector.
Now view its number. UPS has many hundreds of joules. A power strip might be a thousand joules. Surges that do damage are hundreds of thousands of joules. IOW near zero. And just enough above zero so that advertising can hype it into 100% protection.

That is a problem with 'hearing' what works. Low voltage harms no electronics. An electronic sewing machine will work fine even when lights dim to 50% intensity. Low voltage is harmful to motorized appliances - refrigerator, dish washer, and furnace. Not to electronic appliances.

If protecting from low voltage, then a UPS is required for the washing machine and air conditioner. Myths about low voltage promote a UPS that also has near zero protection. Protection inside a UPS is even samller than that in power strips.

How do hundreds of joules protect from surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules. A surge too small to damage anything may easily damage a protector. Failure promotes sales. Then a homeowner will assume the protector is a one shot device. Nonsense. If grossly undersized, a protector fails during irrelevant surges. Near zero joules promotes assumptions also called myths.

Unplugging is also ineffective. Destructive surges occur without warning. Means everything else must also be unplugged including a stove. Surges are made irrelevant by one 'whole house' protector. Only a ‘whole house’ protector earths destructive surges, remains functional, and makes unplugging clock radios unnecessary.

This simply repeats what was read in those previous posts. Informed homeowners earth one 'whole house' protector. Waste no money on mythical power strip protectors. And learn why a UPS outputs some of the 'dirtiest' electricity.
So, what exactly in understanding terms are you saying?Even unplugging doesn't help?huh?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Okay, what is the correct surge protector? I suggest one with the highest rated joules with insurance. If you are looking for brand names I highly recommend APC or TRIPPLITE.
Those are the worst scams. BTW, his engineering degree is inferior to mine. I have also designed surge protection systems.
APC and Tripplite are successfully selling three dollar power strips with ten cent protector parts for $25 and $60. Profit centers. crashnquilt is invited to post specification numbers from APC and Tripplite that actually claim protection. He cannot. Neither claims protection from destructive surges.

Monster Cable has a long history of identifying scams. Selling the same product for even higher prices. Monster sells the same protector circuit for $150. Its paint is fancier. So a majority will believe it works. If Monster is selling it, then you know all those products are only profit centers.

If any employee installed a Tripplite or APC inside a telephone switching center, then he might be fired. Telcos cannot have damage from 100 surges during each thunderstorm. APC and Tripplite can even make damage easier.

Informed homeowners do not waste money on APC, Tripplite, Belkin, and Monster products. Install products from more responsible companies including Square D, ABB, General Electric, Intermatic, Leviton, and Square D. Lowes and Home Depot sell this same effective solution. A Cutler-Hammer solution costs less than $50. Is rated to earth direct lightning strikes - and not be damaged.

An engineer will posts each spec number and will say why each number means protection. crashnquilt cannot. Neither APC nor Tripplite claim that protection. Many insult the engineering profession. Salesmen promoting a scam will claim electrical training. If he really was an engineer, his post cited each number and explained why that number was significant. I did because I even designed surge protection. He cannot. He is a salesman.

Informed homeowners do not waste money on protectors that can even make damage easier. Informed homeowners spend much less money for a protector that makes even direct lightning strikes irrelevant. An earthed 'whole house' protector is necessary to avoid house fire; to protect those APC and Tripplite products.

See those scary pictures to understand why APC and Tripplite protectors are not inside telephone switching centers. 'House fire' is a problem when a tiniest protector - hundreds of joules - attempts to absorb surges that are hundreds of thousands of joules.

Any recommendation without numbers is best called a scam. Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Any recommendation that cannot discuss that is, without doubt, a scam. And that means numbers. Where do hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate? Only the engineer is both asking and answering that question. A salesmen will not ask. And will not answer.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JAGSD
So, what exactly in understanding terms are you saying?Even unplugging doesn't help?huh?
Unplugging helps only if you never plug it in. Meanwhile, if you must unplug anything, then you must unplug everything - stove, clock radios, GFCIs, and the furnace.

Unplugging is recommended when one ignored over 100 years of well proven science that costs about $1 per protected appliance. When one has no other solutions or is using plug-in protectors.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM

This makes no sense to me. Sorry...
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Okay, now I'm confused. O.o