Surge Protectors >

Surge Protectors

Surge Protectors

Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM

You win.....
Bye
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
lue

A few weeks before Christmas I kept getting dimming lights in my craft room. I knew this meant that I had way too much on my "surge protector" but I was trying to finish my Christmas quilting projects so I forged ahead. There went ALL the circuits in my craft room--ceiling lights, wall circuits, EVERYTHING! Though connected to a surge protector, I had too much on it (and my house is only 17 years old)--iron (big electric pull), sewing machine, floor lamp, ceiling light, and space heater (because my downstairs gets cold). My electrician just looked at me with a "You knew better look!" Now I'm more cautious and I'm going to ask my electrician to pick out a surge protector for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:31 PM

westom, I want to see if I understand what you're saying. Is it correct that there is no way to stop a surge? You can only direct the surge elsewhere? That means that you must have a path leading the surge to ground that is more direct than any path inside your home, hence, the whole-house protection?

Do I understand now?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I do know if you have a computerized machine, we are supposed to have a surge protector. I thought it was 1200 jewels (the rating) but have heard it is more since then. I will double check but for some reason I'm thinking 3600 jewels.......
I hope you don't mind if I chg. your spelling to "jules". We use that term in the hosp. all the time so I am familiar with it.
This is a very interesting topic. My computer is on a surg protector but not my sewing machine. Sounds like I might need to chg. that.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I do know if you have a computerized machine, we are supposed to have a surge protector. I thought it was 1200 jewels (the rating) but have heard it is more since then. I will double check but for some reason I'm thinking 3600 jewels.......
I hope you don't mind if I chg. your spelling to "jules". We use that term in the hosp. all the time so I am familiar with it.
This is a very interesting topic. My computer is on a surg protector but not my sewing machine. Sounds like I might need to chg. that.
To be fair, it's actually "joules".
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by Pat G
To be fair, it's actually "joules".
Thank you so very much. I stand corrected. I tried to Google my spelling but got nothing so I knew I was wrong. I tried to delete my msg. but it was too late. Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM

I just unplug my machine after each use. I'm not taking any chances on my baby getting zapped!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mattee
Do I understand now?
That information is routine when professionals (not hearsay) makes recommendation. What you have asked is stated bluntly by the NIST (US government research agency):
> A very important point to keep in mind is that your surge protector
> will work by diverting the surges to ground. The best surge protection
> in the world can be useless if grounding is not done properly.

If called those plug-in protectors ineffective. The NIST is blunter. The APC, Tripplite and other 'magic box' protectors are "useless". Or, as I said so often, a protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Effective protection means a surge can only be "diverted" to earth. To where hundreds of thousands of joules are absorbed - harmlessly.

And that is how it was done even 100 years ago so that telephone operators could work through every thunderstorm. So that even lightning strikes were not to headsets and operator brains. The technology is that old and that well proven. And not found in any magic box adjacent to a sewing machine.

As the NIST says, those APC and Tripplite protectors are "useless". Their word; not mine.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

I thought it was 1200 jewels (the rating) but have heard it is more since then. I will double check but for some reason I'm thinking 3600 jewels.......
3600 joules means ineffective protection. Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. What happens when a grossly undersized protector is on a desktop of papers or on a rug behind some furniture? I repeately recommended you view 'scary pictures'. Apparently this reality was not easy enough. Does the phrase 'house fire' have significance? View scary pictures including a fire marshal who decribes why a fire risk exists:
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=556&parent=554
http://www.ddxg.net/old/surge_protectors.htm
http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html
http://* * *.com/3x73ol where *** is t i n y u r l and is entitled "Surge Protector Fires"
http://www3.cw56.com/news/articles/local/BO63312/
http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/news/lesson-learned/surgeprotectorfire.htm
http://www.pennsburgfireco.com/fullstory.php?58339

Fire is rare for some reasons. First, most protectors disconnect as fast as possible. Leaving a surge connected to the appliance. No problem. Most appliances contain superior protection.

Second, a truly destructive surge occurs typically once every seven years. Another number. Because honest posts always include the numbers.

Useful protection means everything - even the furnace - is protected. That means one 'whole house' protector. Even necessary to protect you from protector fires. What most needs protection during a surge? Smoke detectors. Why do plug-in recommendations forget that?

Joules. How do hundreds of thousands of joules magically disappear? They don't. Either you cannect that energy harmlessly to earth. Or that energy is inside a house - destructively. Show me one plug-in protector that will even discuss this? If honest, then their sales would be harmed. An honest reply also provides (or asks) critically important numbers. Where do hundreds of thousand of joules dissipate? Either harmlessly in earth. Or destructively inside the house. Be informed or scammed. Your choice.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Okay, westom, I am not looking at to getting into some type of "educational contest" with you. Glad to hear you have that much education. KUDOS to you.

IF you will read back in my postings, I have not NOR ever will say that any surge protector will guard against a lightening strike. BUT I will say that surge protectors DO protect against the intermittent power flex's that do happen on pretty much on a constant basis.

I have NEVER told someone that a surge protector will protect against a lightening strike. In fact, I am smart enough to know that very VERY little will give protection to lightening strike DUE to the factor you are not assured WHERE the strike is going to travel!

If you will read my post I recommended the APC or TRIPPLITE protectors BECAUSE OF THEIR INSURANCE COVERAGE!

Also, the original poster was ASKING for some kind of recommendation and what to look for and I tried to give a good answer. The poster was not asking about guarding against lightening strike or asking for a course in ELECTRICITY 101.

What I do not appreciate from you is trying make me out to be an idiot when it is you that is NOT being understood. As said before your education is admirable, but you seem to have lost the art of being able to "connect" with "common folk" Also, the world of electronics being such a detail oriented profession, you refer to me as "HE", but if you look at my avatar you SHOULD be able to see I am female.

To break this down completely:
SURGE PROTECTORS DO NOT PROTECT YOU AGAINST A LIGHTENING STRIKE! Surge protectors will protect you against surges that happen more often than you know.

As one other person observed, westom does say that unplugging does not protect you, I say unplugging does protect you but do make sure the prongs of the plug are facing AWAY from the power source. Yes, I do mean that. Do I think EVERYTHING needs to be unplugged. Nupe! A lamp can be rewired for about $5, clocks can be replace for about the same amount of cash, and most of your appliances will be covered with your insurance. The actual cost of your sewing machine may not be covered under your insurance. For that, you really need to talk with your insurance carrier.

Now, if someone does not understand me, please ask me.