Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
swapping disappointment >

swapping disappointment

swapping disappointment

Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Grammy2_be
Have you ever swapped and been disappointed? I sent 15 really nice charms and got back 15 disappointments, really only 1 usable. Should I pm the swapper and let them know or just let it go? This is the first time this has happened every other time it's been very positive.
I swap charms at my guild meeting every month. Now these are women who know their way around fabric. But every once in a while I get back some cheap quality fabrics. Not often, but enough to make me wonder. However I put the bad ones aside and keep the nice ones and hope for the best each month. I think you should just forget about them and keep on swapping. It's fun!

8-)
Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by texas granny
You could set up some rulers for your swap. Lile it should all be of quilt shop fabric. That way you want get $2.00 walmart for $10.00 quilt shop fabric.
a rule like that would be forbidden in a swap on this board. we encourage inclusiveness. a swap designed to leave out or embarrass members who can't afford quilt shop prices has no place here.

the same goes for skill level. i find it hard to believe that a quilter would deliberately send her worst-made blocks just to get rid of them. which means that every swapper is sending the best work they can do with the nicest fabric they can afford.

anybody who cannot appreciate the effort and intent should not swap here.

period.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Have you ever swapped and been disappointed? I sent 15 really nice charms and got back 15 disappointments, really only 1 usable. Should I pm the swapper and let them know or just let it go? This is the first time this has happened every other time it's been very positive.
i rarely swap with strangers.

not because i don't want to risk getting "inferior" fabric.

because i don't want to be judged and criticized if my tastes or budget don't match those of the other person.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Thanks for the information
Originally Posted by Dagny
There is some guidance on this subject on the general Rules for Swaps link that appears at the beginning of the block swap section:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm

You might find something helpful there.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:33 AM

If you are going to swap, it is best to lay down the ground rules like those stated here. I have only participated in one swap and it worked well because we established rules first and it was at the quilt shop. Good luck in the future
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

The point of my comments were:

Guidelines are set down at the beginning of a swap.

I think it's helpful when the participants follow them. Sometimes it appears that the participants either did not read them or chose to ignore them.

How many newbies are going to know to measure a block before using and some of the ways of making different size blocks work together? (I know there are tutorials and illustrations, but as a newbie - how would I know I should know that?)

I'm also very tired of people slamming WalMart and JoAnn fabrics. Yes, there are sleazy ones available at both places. There are (were, in the case of WalMart) decent ones available, also.

If, say the blocks are supposed to be turquoise and purple, and I get one back that's black and white (lovely as it may or may not be) -

To me, that's like going to a restaurant and I'm expecting to be served a beef steak - and the waitperson brings out a chicken breast. Probably nothing wrong with the chicken, but that wasn't what I was expecting to get.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator

thanks very much, bearisgray. you've made some very useful points. (somebody needs to get us an emoticon that hugs. i'm afraid the best i can do is a :thumbup: )

i think in cases where a swapper sends something that doesn't fit within reasonable and clearly stated guidelines, the swap coordinator should not feel mean-spirited for sending it back. i know the return would be explained with kindness.

after all, it's entirely possible the swapper is in more than one swap and mixed up her mailings. you might be doing her a favor.

i like the steak vs. chicken analogy.

if you're swapping steaks and will shriek at the sight of anything less than a kobe filet mignon on a platinum platter with dom perignon, then you should stick to swapping with your own little clique of friends and not go public. if, however, you can look at your paper plate full of chicken-fried cubesteak and appreciate the exercise your jaws will get while chewing it ... you are a good sport. ;-)

when it comes to chicken, the whole free-range organic vs. not is just too complicated and confusing to discuss. :lol:
Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the discussion everyone. This was a private swap so I was not familiar with of all the group rules. Clearly the rules are helpful. I was not aware of the no complaining bit so I apologize for bringing this subject up. I have really enjoyed this group and would not want to put that at risk by breaking the rules. Sorry, sorry, sorry and let's close this topic please.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the discussion everyone. This was a private swap so I was not familiar with of all the group rules. Clearly the rules are helpful. I was not aware of the no complaining bit so I apologize for bringing this subject up. I have really enjoyed this group and would not want to put that at risk by breaking the rules. Sorry, sorry, sorry and let's close this topic please.
all discussion is good on any topic or am I wrong

:lol:
Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
thanks very much, bearisgray. you've made some very useful points. (somebody needs to get us an emoticon that hugs. i'm afraid the best i can do is a :thumbup: )

i think in cases where a swapper sends something that doesn't fit within reasonable and clearly stated guidelines, the swap coordinator should not feel mean-spirited for sending it back. i know the return would be explained with kindness.

after all, it's entirely possible the swapper is in more than one swap and mixed up her mailings. you might be doing her a favor.

[color=purple] this is possible - many of the members are involved in multiple swaps [/color=purple]

i like the steak vs. chicken analogy.

if you're swapping steaks and will shriek at the sight of anything less than a kobe filet mignon on a platinum platter with dom perignon, then you should stick to swapping with your own little clique of friends and not go public. if, however, you can look at your paper plate full of chicken-fried cubesteak and appreciate the exercise your jaws will get while chewing it ... you are a good sport. ;-)

[color=purple] as long is it's not ALL gristle and/or fat - - - [/color=purple]

when it comes to chicken, the whole free-range organic vs. not is just too complicated and confusing to discuss. :lol: