Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • SWAPS: do you do them online? >
  • SWAPS: do you do them online?

• SWAPS: do you do them online?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 AM

I love the swaps, it is soooooo much fun waiting to get your surprise in the mail, and I love that kind of mail. However, the postage takes alot of the fun out of it for me. the last swap I joined, I was able to use stash material and the time involved really didn't matter to me, but, the postage really hurt. I still do swaps, but, now I'm alittle more selective. I love surprises!
    Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by quilterella
    I love the swaps, it is soooooo much fun waiting to get your surprise in the mail, and I love that kind of mail. However, the postage takes alot of the fun out of it for me. the last swap I joined, I was able to use stash material and the time involved really didn't matter to me, but, the postage really hurt. I still do swaps, but, now I'm alittle more selective. I love surprises!
    yes, the swaps do take $$ in postage...not like when I started and I think stamps were still around $.25!

That is where the centralized swaps are now better....a flat rate envelope goes to one place with ALL of the blocks and they are then separated and sent back out in one flat rate envelope!
    I just did a blocks swap of 30 blocks 8", and it cost $6.50 to ship them all with insurance and tracking!

No more individual swaps for me....not for 30+ blocks all needing double postage!
    Old 04-19-2011, 01:47 AM

I hosted a "beginners" swap once. either a beginner to quilting or to swaps.
    i had 30 people want to join in. so i split it up into 3 groups of 10.
    3 people flaked..and not only did i have my own blocks to make..i decided to make up the blocks for the ones who did not fulfill thier obligation. i just could not bear the girls being short on the 10 blocks..after all, they were beginners!
    never again..
    i know life gets in the way sometimes..but i could of filled those spots if i knew ahead of time..that they could not get it done on time.
    I also think that when the deadline is up, it is up..return to sender,anything that is not on time.
    i have never done the one to one swap..but it would be a money saver on postage.

i myself, work better with deadlines..i don't know why.
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
    Power Poster

I participate in swaps and also host them and it is fun on both sides- it can be stressful as a hostess when you have "flakes " - but the fun of seeing what everyone gets over comes that :thumbup:

I love getting different blocks from all over the place and seeing all the different styles , colors and what not - doesn't matter the skill level I love them all :lol:
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
    Power Poster

I've done a few.

I also felt they got expensive - but it was also fun.

I think the hostesses/coordinators are starting to "enforce" the guidelines more closely.

I understand that the participants have different skill levels and access to different fabrics.

That said, if the swap is for 12.5 inch (unfinished) size blocks in purple and lime green, I think it is reasonable to expect that is what one is going to get.
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Jacquie,

I have swapped a lot of fabric over the past couple years. I make blocks for charity quilts, but not to trade. I find I'm very particular about fabric and construction.

Trading fabrics within a group of specialized quilters or those with similar tastes helps quite a bit. I have cut back considerably in the past 6 months or so since I'm really watching my budget. When shipping started to add up, I realized that was fabric money I was throwing away for a potential good swap. It's easier and more cost effective for me to buy my own, especially during free shipping specials at quilt shops.

By the way, your flower blocks in the avatar are wonderful! What method of applique do you use?

=)
    Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Jacquie,

I have swapped a lot of fabric over the past couple years. I make blocks for charity quilts, but not to trade. I find I'm very particular about fabric and construction.

Trading fabrics within a group of specialized quilters or those with similar tastes helps quite a bit. I have cut back considerably in the past 6 months or so since I'm really watching my budget. When shipping started to add up, I realized that was fabric money I was throwing away for a potential good swap. It's easier and more cost effective for me to buy my own, especially during free shipping specials at quilt shops.

By the way, your flower blocks in the avatar are wonderful! What method of applique do you use?

=)
    The blocks in my avatar are not appliqued, but painted! A lady made them back in the 70's!
    Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM

how cool! they'd make the cutest appliques, though. i tried enlarging to get a better look but couldn't. thanks.
    Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM

I like doing swaps just for the companionship. I always want to try something new, and love to have others to talk to about my passion. Before my mom just recently moved up here, I had no one to talk to about quilting.... gets lonely but the swaps keep me motivated to do more.
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    how cool! they'd make the cutest appliques, though. i tried enlarging to get a better look but couldn't. thanks.
    maybe you can see them better this way!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-187352.jpe   attachment-187353.jpe