Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt interfacing >

T-shirt interfacing

T-shirt interfacing

Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 AM

Default T-shirt interfacing

Does any one where I can find what is called "t-shirt" interfacing. It is cotton fabric with sticky that you iron on to t-shirts so that they are stable. JoAnn's did not have what I was looking for. I used a heavy interfacing and was not satisfied ( The heavy interfacing is too bulky to quilt) . I am looking for something that will hold t-shirts down good while easy to quilt. THe quilt store that I bought some years ago treated my husband and son soo bad that I refuse to go back to her store. THanks for any help!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I think you can use the one sided interfacing that is very light weight. Joanns had it on sale this past weekend a 10 yard bundle for 3.99 - but I can't think of the name , sorry
Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM

You are looking for the fusible, non-woven lightweight interfacing. I did one with it, the quilt was very heavy and it needs to be machine quilted. Also expensive and time comsuming to iron all that on. However, you may want to try using starch instead. My second t shirt quilt using starch came out amazing. Starch HEAVILY before cutting. I soaked them in starch solution from the grocery store,, wrung out and in dryer til damp but not dry. Ironed (wrong side) dry and then cut. Worked perfectly. ANd there is a little give so if you have to squiggle things around to get them to line up, it works. Good luck!
Ellen
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 AM

There is a tricot-[knit] interfacing that works really good with t-shirts---just apply the knit grain sidewise to the knit grain of the t-shirt--- 90 degree angle---it is not as stiff--I used to use it in garments that were knit
Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by scarlet14 View Post
There is a tricot-[knit] interfacing that works really good with t-shirts---just apply the knit grain sidewise to the knit grain of the t-shirt--- 90 degree angle---it is not as stiff--I used to use it in garments that were knit
this is what i have used and it works well...wait for the joann's half price on notions and then buy a bolt...
Old 12-01-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
this is what i have used and it works well...wait for the joann's half price on notions and then buy a bolt...
Ditto what Dee said. I like the way the tricot makes the t-shirts drape. It has a nice hand. She is also right about the price! Don't leave home w/o your coupon!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by scarlet14 View Post
This is the product I have always used. It adds stability to the t-shirt and does not bulk. It also launders well.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 PM

I used Joann's non woven fusible interfacing at $.99 a yard (half price with coupon) and having no problems.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

non-woven lightweight fusable interfacing is what you need to ask for- they will have bolts of it.
it is lighter weight than muslin- has fusable on one side- is easy to quilt through- and quite inexpensive.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
I think you can use the one sided interfacing that is very light weight. Joanns had it on sale this past weekend a 10 yard bundle for 3.99 - but I can't think of the name , sorry
I always used the Pellon lightweight fusible nonwoven interfacing available at JoAnn's.. You want the lightest you can get because you don't want to add any additional weight to the quilt since the T-shirts are heavy enough as they are. GOOD LUCK!!!