Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • T shirt quilts?? >
  • T shirt quilts??

• T shirt quilts??

Old 08-28-2018, 06:04 AM

Default T shirt quilts??

What type of interfacing have you found to be the best for making T shirt quilts ? Is it economical?
    Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 AM

I am about to start my first T-shirt quilt. I went to JoAnn's and found a salesperson who had made many T-shirt quilts. She asked me if I wanted the panel to be pliable or stiff after the interfacing was ironed on. I wanted it to be pliable. She recommended Pellon SF101 White Shape-Flex Fusible Interfacing. She said it was the best. It isn't cheap, but the salesperson said it would be worth the extra money because it was so good to work with. I got mine on sale for 50% off. I purchased a whole bolt and it was $50-$55 (after the 50% off). I have yet to work with it. Hope this helps.
    Old 08-28-2018, 09:07 AM
    JT

I took a class with my guild. The lady teaching it has made over 15 t-shirt quilts and she recommended Pellon-911. That is what I used on a quilt with about 35-40 t-shirts in it (front & back). It worked great, kept the t-shirt feeling soft like a t-shirt.

Also, it's an easy one to remember Pellon 9-11.
    Old 08-28-2018, 01:59 PM

I also used Pellon 911. Soft and pliable, works well. Reasonably priced at Hobby Lobby or Joann's.
    Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM

I'm at about 30 t-shirt quilts and started out using Pellon 911F--while its lightweight I thought it felt more "felty" and also, while I also bought by the bolt 40% off at JoAnn's, the width was narrow enough that I felt like I either had a lot of waste or pieced fusible. Then I found 54" wide Pellon ShapeFlex--it's woven and very lightweight. This is the stuff that is used in men's suits in the collars and lapels. JoAnn's has it in the 20 or 24" widths, but my LQS buys it (and sells it) in the 54"widths. Besides the convenience of the wider width, I prefer the weight and feel too
    Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 PM

I have not made as many tshirt quilts as some of the others have, but I have made at least 10. I have used a few different interfacings.

Now I am using Therm o web heat'n bond non woven lightweight fusible interfacing. The "bond" is quick and sturdy and I don't have to use a pressing sheet. I am working on my 3rd tshirt quilt with this
    [h=1][/h]I feel like a got a good price on Amazon. I will be using this again

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Old 08-31-2018, 11:35 PM

I just used the lightest fusible interfacing - NOT the interfacing for knits. After a few washing, the fusible usually lets go of the tshirting anyway.