Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table Cloth Quilts >

Table Cloth Quilts

Table Cloth Quilts

Old 11-30-2009, 07:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I recently made a quilt into a door curtain and used Hobbs thermore batting. It's very thin and drapey so I guess it would work well for a table cover too. I have table toppers and runners but remove them to eat or if the kids are colouring or painting. Too much work to risk being spoilt! I like the idea of placemats on a plain cloth - less work and you can change them with the seasons and occasions. A table cover for when the table is not in use is a great idea, however and Lesley, yours is gorgeous! :-D
Sorry Momo - didn't see yours first time round - skipped a page! :oops: It's so cute and cheery:

On the subject of what else to cover in quilts - I have them hung on walls and as I said, have just made a door curtain. I also have one covering a window hung on a net rod. There's an extra hook hanging to one side so in the day, you move it across and it becomes a wall hanging. :-D
Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 AM

I've made a couple table cloth quilts. I went to Walmart and bought a medium weight vinyl off the roll that was the size of my table plus a little for the drop. Worked great. I've also seen (somewhere...I can't remember now, of course!) that there is some sort of vinyl-y iron-on material that you can make a permanent part of your table cover or placemats. I've only seen a photo online, so I don't know how it looks or feels in person. Maybe someone else here has some experience with it.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 PM

I wonder about using heat n bond on the backing and bond it to the batting. Do you think that would keep liquid from seeping though to the table?
Spills going though to the table is the only worry I have with the table cloths....and having to hurry and put somthing underneath the spill or taking everything off the table and wiping up.

Originally Posted by minstrel
I've made a couple table cloth quilts. I went to Walmart and bought a medium weight vinyl off the roll that was the size of my table plus a little for the drop. Worked great. I've also seen (somewhere...I can't remember now, of course!) that there is some sort of vinyl-y iron-on material that you can make a permanent part of your table cover or placemats. I've only seen a photo online, so I don't know how it looks or feels in person. Maybe someone else here has some experience with it.