Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table Cloth Quilts >

Table Cloth Quilts

Table Cloth Quilts

Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

One thing you gals could do is use the insulbright as a liner for the heat problem. It works well, I use it for hot pads all the time. It is easy to quilt through.

The other thing that works and I use when I am having my large family to dinner is buy a plastic liner for your table and place it over the cloth while eating. I have kids and some messy adults around those meals. Why not?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
One thing you gals could do is use the insulbright as a liner for the heat problem. It works well, I use it for hot pads all the time. It is easy to quilt through.

The other thing that works and I use when I am having my large family to dinner is buy a plastic liner for your table and place it over the cloth while eating. I have kids and some messy adults around those meals. Why not?
I did the clear vinyl cover for years when our kids were younger. Now that they're grown up. it's time to put it back on for the grandkids! LOL
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM

That's really very nice!!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Melanie, I love your table runner with the colorful pumpkins and bright fall leaves. The black center makes the colors glow.

Leslie, I also love yours; it has such beautiful embroidery.

pj, I also read where Nancy Zieman recommends backing table coverings with flannel and not using batting. I've been wondering if anyone on this board tried that. Nancy said the flannel helps hold table coverings in place better.

~ ~ ~

Didn't someone recently mention in another thread that they spray all their quilted table coverings with Scotchgard? I wonder how well that works to keep spills from staining?

I like the idea of using a clear vinyl cover over a quilted table covering when eating, especially with children. But my DGD's can cause stains just by being near the table, even when they're not eating. I found a small red line from a red magic marker on my beautiful oak table after Thanksgiving dinner. It wasn't there before dinner. We were playing with the Barbie dolls and clothes and evidently there was a red marker in with them. I have no idea why, although I suppose they might have been using it for lipstick. :?
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM

That is a beautiful tablecloth.
I haven been making and using quiltws table quilts for years.
I've actually used some old twin size quilts when I exten my table out full length.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 AM

There are some incredibly THIN battings out there. I would use one. Also at the fabric store you can buy that clear plastic sheeting that is 54" wide and simply put it over the top, you can see the quilt top but when your eating on it the cover will protect it. Wipes down easily too. I collect vintage tablecloths and when the kids were little I ALWAYS had a cover over it or I would have some wonderful ruined clothes.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:53 AM

that's a table COVER right? or wrong? you DON'T use it for eating, like you would a tablecloth?

It's there to protect the table between meals? is that it? (btw, is that table from ikea)
Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I have been making quilted tablecloths for awhile now. I take them off when time to eat. They are just for show. I use placemats or regular tablecloth to eat on.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 AM

that's clever of you. why take a chance after all that work?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 AM

Love the quilt