Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Table Cloth Quilts

Hi! I finally ran out of room and beds for quilts so I started making table cloth quilts. This is really fun, and I didn't have a problem until now. Most of my family have round tables. The table cloth needs to be 52" diameter. I made octagons. The tops look great on the table, but I am not sure how to quilt them. Any ideas? :?:

Blog Entries
    Can you post a photo?

Okay, I'll try. I don't see well enough to use a camera, but my daughter is visiting and I'll ask her.

My only suggestion is to watch it doesn't get too heavily textured and your glasses tip over easily. Wonder how I learned that lesson - lol

Do you use a different sort of batting when making a table cloth vs a quilt for a bed?

Yes. I use a very thin batting, but it is heavy enough to keep the table from being burned. Light and Natural works great. Also, when I make ties, I use crochet thread.

I would like to know more about this, because I would like to make one myself. I have a octagon table, and I haven't figured out how to do it either. I am not experienced enough to be able to do something without instructions yet. I was going to post a question in regards to doing this, so I am glad to see someone else is thinking of doing the same thing.

I'm new to quilting but I have made a couple table cloths and on "sewing with Nancy" she said to use flannel. So I did. Flannel is also cheap. You also don't back table cloths. So they were a good inexpensive way for me to get some quilting experience.

I always take mine off the table before eating so don't know about the heat.

I just made my first tablecloth. Put a lot of thought into it and then just went for it. I had a nice fall fabric panel that would fit my custom made kitchenette. I put flying geese border, then regular border. Backed it with muslin, quilted (no batting). Turned out great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have some blocks that I want to turn into a tablecloth for my dining room table. I am just afraid of people spilling on it and getting stained. After all the work making all those blocks, I don't want it ruined real fast. I could make it and just use it on the table for decoration and then use placemats or replace it with another for actual use. Are you concerned about stains?

Boy that is sure pretty! Very nice. Love it.

Wow that is bright and happy. Great job!

I have made 2 tablecovers (with embroidered curtains to match). I have a pattern but I also make a top for my antique 'dry sink' . I also make coasters to match. I have a round table but still make a square cover & turn it so that all 4 corners are barely off the table. It's very pretty! & a nice look! At least I think so. Yes, you have to be careful with your quilting so you don't have a lot of 'bumps' for your glasses to fall over. I did some stitch in the ditch on the 9 patch & some stipple on the squares. On one of the scalloped borders, I did a design & the other I just did a 'meandering' stitch . Nothing special on the quilting. Mine both have a batting & a backing just like a quilt?? It is called for in the pattern. Don't have any pictures of it on this laptop but if you like I could get some?? i haven't had any luck putting pictures on here but I would try. good luck!

gwyn,

i would be afraid of something like wine or beets or grape juice spilling. they leave really bad stains. even gravy. i would also keep something like plastic under it so any spills that do get through won't ruin the table as well as the table quilt. the whole thing would make me nervous.

besides, what will you cover after that? LOL! :lol: what about layering? you put on a tablecloth. the one you're going to eat off of. then you layer over that with with a smaller quilted tablecloth in coordinating colors.
    when it's time to actually eat, you remove the quilted one and replace it with matching quilted placemats. still very pretty and more practical. and it shows off your quilting skills while protecting your work. what do you think? i have no placemats, but i do have quilted table toppers that i remove before serving. then there's a solid color washable tablecloth.

(can you hang them on your walls? they take the place of headboards. use them for window coverings (if you also use a lining). hang shelves and create a collection. they're very pretty when folded up.)

if you really have no more places to put quilts, then i suggest that you send your stash to me. i'll find a place for everything.

let us know what you decide to do about this. i give mine away, so i don't have too many for the space and the beds and the walls i have.

wow,,,what a pretty quilt... :D

Blog Entries
    I made a table cover to protect my new dining table. It is heavily quilted, so there aren't any lumps and bumps on it. I did some embroidery on it in the style of Libby Lehman, and signified the various place settings with lighter background squares. The whole thing has four corners stitched on the back to act like pockets that hold a heavy felt sold to protect tables from hot dishes.

Detail of some of the embroidery
    Name:  Attachment-46174.jpe
Views: 111
Size:  75.6 KB

The whole thing
    Name:  Attachment-46175.jpe
Views: 73
Size:  43.1 KB

Now that's a pretty table covering!!!!
    Do you actually use it to eat on?
    Arn't you afraid of it getting stained? I was going to make one for my dining room table but don't want it ruined right away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Now that's a pretty table covering!!!!
    Do you actually use it to eat on?
    Arn't you afraid of it getting stained? I was going to make one for my dining room table but don't want it ruined right away.
    Nope, it's had the odd splash, which I have sponged straight away. We aren't wine drinkers, so it would be more likely to be water or orange juice, (or even gravy), but generally we don't seem to have many accidents ...touch wood!. It's been on the table now for about a year, so I have been thinking recently that it really should have a wash. I do usually put place mats on it, which coveres up the lighter areas, so I needn't have bothered working them out, as it happens.

Lacelady, That's gorgeous!!

What's the difference if you spill on quilted tablecover, placemats or a solid color tablecloth?? You still have stains to deal with! I have made several sets of placemats, table runners , tablecovers all with matching dry sink covers & coasters & I make a center mat either round or square. I change them with the seasons. I have found that if you deal with the 'spills' in a timely manner, they are not a problem. I have never had such big spills that they go thru to the table but table pads would solve that. I use hot pads or trivets under any hot dishes, which you would do anyway? I think it has made my husband a little more careful! haha! Another benefit, meanwhile, I enjoy my quilted tablecovers & placemats! Of course, there's only the two of us now. That helps!

One thing you gals could do is use the insulbright as a liner for the heat problem. It works well, I use it for hot pads all the time. It is easy to quilt through.

The other thing that works and I use when I am having my large family to dinner is buy a plastic liner for your table and place it over the cloth while eating. I have kids and some messy adults around those meals. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    One thing you gals could do is use the insulbright as a liner for the heat problem. It works well, I use it for hot pads all the time. It is easy to quilt through.

The other thing that works and I use when I am having my large family to dinner is buy a plastic liner for your table and place it over the cloth while eating. I have kids and some messy adults around those meals. Why not?
    I did the clear vinyl cover for years when our kids were younger. Now that they're grown up. it's time to put it back on for the grandkids! LOL

That's really very nice!!

Melanie, I love your table runner with the colorful pumpkins and bright fall leaves. The black center makes the colors glow.

Leslie, I also love yours; it has such beautiful embroidery.

pj, I also read where Nancy Zieman recommends backing table coverings with flannel and not using batting. I've been wondering if anyone on this board tried that. Nancy said the flannel helps hold table coverings in place better.

~ ~ ~

Didn't someone recently mention in another thread that they spray all their quilted table coverings with Scotchgard? I wonder how well that works to keep spills from staining?

I like the idea of using a clear vinyl cover over a quilted table covering when eating, especially with children. But my DGD's can cause stains just by being near the table, even when they're not eating. I found a small red line from a red magic marker on my beautiful oak table after Thanksgiving dinner. It wasn't there before dinner. We were playing with the Barbie dolls and clothes and evidently there was a red marker in with them. I have no idea why, although I suppose they might have been using it for lipstick. :?

That is a beautiful tablecloth.
    I haven been making and using quiltws table quilts for years.
    I've actually used some old twin size quilts when I exten my table out full length.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast