Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder >

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Old 09-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Hi from Bell GArdens, California,
Lisa, I'm with u. I can't picture that either. Maybe eventually we'll get an eye for that. Meanwhile I'll just admire somebody else's beautiful work.
If you figure it out do let me know how u did it. :cry:
Old 09-09-2010, 02:18 PM

My 1st stop after reading the tute on here...several times, was the library.Got the OBW book & bought the 2 edition....but either one would be enough.There's a ton of pics on here so you can see types of fabrics that work good.You can get fabric in Walmart or Joanns.

It's basically just cutting a strip, then find the next strip that matches the one you cut.I lined up the 6 required & cut the triangles with a 60 degree ruler.Each pile of 6 is sewn in halves of 3.That's as far as I've got, but find the tute.She'll ans your questions.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 PM

I've been planning to do a OBW for months largely due to this site; a local shop has offered a class so I go in two weeks to cut with guidance! I have two fabric choices selected - my heart is with Batman and the other is Plan B in my head, a much more tradition choice for the block I think. Do you folks think I can get away with Batman? I have a bunch of panels so figure I could toss any vast one-color blocks and bits dominated by straight lines. What do you think? Can the Caped Crusader pull it off?

Batman
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102414[/ATTACH]

Lovely Plan B
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-102409.jpe   attachment-102410.jpe  
Old 10-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Someone else did a panel and it turned out great, I have reservations on this particular panel though. I love the panel and know one or two that would love to use it as is. Now lookin at it I see large parts that are the came color, I mean as in esactly the same color, no real shade variance even. so that would mean that would would end up with lot of blocks that would look exactly like each other. which isn't bad if that is what you are looking for, most people are lookin to get the shading etc that a different print will give.

I like the second print, it is pretty.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by grendelskin
I've been planning to do a OBW for months largely due to this site; a local shop has offered a class so I go in two weeks to cut with guidance! I have two fabric choices selected - my heart is with Batman and the other is Plan B in my head, a much more tradition choice for the block I think. Do you folks think I can get away with Batman? I have a bunch of panels so figure I could toss any vast one-color blocks and bits dominated by straight lines. What do you think? Can the Caped Crusader pull it off?
Do you have a hinged mirror? If you place it open on the fabric so you can see 6 images in it, then slide it along the width of your panel. If you like what you see, then go ahead and use Batman. If you see too much solid color = blue and red for instance,, then I'd opt for a different print.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM

GREAT IDEA....and one that SHOULD be tried. Gives the mind the correct image of what the quilt pieces will be like. HURRAY !!
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by grendelskin
Do you have a hinged mirror? If you place it open on the fabric so you can see 6 images in it, then slide it along the width of your panel. If you like what you see, then go ahead and use Batman. If you see too much solid color = blue and red for instance,, then I'd opt for a different print.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks all, I'll rig a set of mirrors and try it!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

So has anyone made one I can see?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Mine ended after making 5 blocks.Didn't want a huge quilt of the fabric I was using.Might use a diff fabric for a wall hanging.
Originally Posted by cutebuns
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I have my top completed - I ended up going with Batman after all and it's WILD. It was neat, we ooh'ed and ahh'ed over my classmates' blocks which looked like flowers and feathers and snowflakes, and my blocks were compared to fan blades and other industrial things; it is NOT a pretty or girly quilt! Haven't done the backing yet, and have just evolved my Plan for the quilting. It will be called "The Crazed Crusader!" Will post when finished.