Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder >

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Talk of fabric choices for the one block wonder

Old 07-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Need your advice, when I purchased this oriental fabric I thought it would work well for a OBW, now, I am thinking there may be too much of the solid deep brown/burgundy, what do you think? Does it matter which way I turn in the points to get different patterns? Thanks for any help!

the fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]223987[/ATTACH]

one block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]223988[/ATTACH]

another, there are lots with the brown in the center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]223989[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-223981.jpe   attachment-223982.jpe   attachment-223983.jpe  
Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 AM

I think it would be beautiful. Might give you headaches in block placement, but it would definitely work.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:00 AM

Thanks mimisharon! It will be a queen, so I will keep the Advil handy! I am not sure what I will do for a design wall to preview and arrange though...

Originally Posted by mimisharon
I think it would be beautiful. Might give you headaches in block placement, but it would definitely work.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 AM

Go get a cheap flannel backed tablecloth at a dollar store. They are easy to tack or tape up on a wall to work through placements. I can't get up from the floor to do placements and pinning anymore. You can actually roll the tablecloth up with the blocks still on it and then put it back up when you are working on it again.

I would LOVE to have room to keep an eight foot table up, but that's not gonna happen. :lol: :lol: So I use my walls.

Post pictures of the progress, I was so happy to get other's ideas about changing blocks for better flow on my first one. I get blinded by the looking at placement to long sometimes so input is always helpful!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by tangledthread
Need your advice, when I purchased this oriental fabric I thought it would work well for a OBW, now, I am thinking there may be too much of the solid deep brown/burgundy, what do you think? Does it matter which way I turn in the points to get different patterns? Thanks for any help!
When I did my OBW I turned the triangles until I decided on a design for each hexagon. That allows you to vary them and get different center designs. Isn't it fun? I promised myself that I would do another one because I enjoyed it so much!

Have fun. I can't wait to see the results! :-D :-D :thumbup:
Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 AM

You can also use a piece of batting for a design wall, but hang it up so you can get a good look.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Excellent suggestions, thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
Here is another fabric that I found that I thought would make an interesting OBW. I have used my mirrors to show some of the blocks I could get with it. Just goes to show you that you do not have to pick a floral....
Wow I am so glad you posted this, I am going fabric shopping today to find something to do my OBW with, I am a bright color kind of person and this is the first I've found with my type of look! ty so much!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Default Wranglers

Hi yall-I am dying to try a OBW quilt, and I would love to use Alexander Henry's Wranglers fabric. The problem is that I can't buy it locally, and I am hesitant to buy the 6-8 yards I think I need when I don't know it if is a good fabric choice. I've watched several videos on how to pick out fabrics (print scale, background space, etc), but I can't audition the fabric with mirrors on the computer monitor very easily. According to some website descriptions, it has a 24" repeat, and the cowboys are about 12" tall. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not this is a good choice? Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails ai_ahenry4359wranglers.jpg   ahenry4359wranglers.jpg