Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taller table >

taller table

taller table

Old 06-18-2007, 04:06 PM

[color=red]For what it's worth, I just got the new Joann's mailer this weekend and they have what looks like a good height cutting table on sale half price right now

I just looked at this table on line and think that I'm going to try to get to Joanns this weekend and check it out.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 PM

I bought this table at JoAnn's yesterday and I already love it. My back is saying thank you. The table was on sale for $59 then I had a $5 off coupon so it was really affordable. Thanks for the great tips.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

If there is an IKEA nearby they sell what looks like a saw horse only it has adjustible heights in them. We also bought a damaged 8 foot door to go on top. I can lower it for my kids to be able to cut. Or keep it high for me. I have lots of room at the right height.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

If there is an IKEA nearby then they sell what looks like a saw horse but it is adjustable. I use it on the highest for cutting and I can lower it when the kids are doing their thing. I bought a damaged 8 foot door to go on top and I have lots of room to do what I need to do.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM

fyi, I am a sewer and also do ergonomic evals for work. I recently did a presentation at my local sewing store on sewing ergonomics. The proper cutting table height, ironing board height, and big board height should be set at your standing hip height. To find standing hip height, stand and bend your hip by raising one knee slightly. Place your fingers in the bend of your hip. That is hip height. Have someone measure the distance from the floor to your finger tips at hip height and that distance should be the height of those work surfaces. Once set, you should feel a big difference in reducing back strain and pain from inproper bending and stooping. The bed risers work well to raise heights in most instances. Those can be purchased at Bed, Bath, and Beyond or Linens and Things I understand. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Hey Susanhcc,

You should write an article for Admin ALL about sewing/quilting ergonomics. It would make a great Newsletter topic.
:D
Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 AM

I would be happy to. If I wrote something, how best should be posted?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM

I too have been looking for the 'bed risers' because I know that they work well. They lift your table up to 6". I just found a set of 4 at vermontcountrystore.com on sale for $6.99! The shipping is only $4.95, so it's a pretty economical solution!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 PM

I also got bed risers. They work great!

I had not heard that Walmart and Hancocks were discontinuing their fabric departments. Please tell me it ain't so!

Emma
Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Hi,
My Quilting teacher put two "saw horses" like my Dad used to cut wood on, together and a large piece of plywood. She adjusted the legs and it is great to cut on.