Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taller table >

taller table

taller table

Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM

If you take a couple of 2 by 4'a and nail them together, you can get the height you need. You just place 1 or 2 sets (nailed together with long nails) on each side of the table. It is fairly inexpensive and the wood can be used elsewhere should you no longer need it. Also, try looking for a store going out of business, like a deli, as some of them have higher counters than the normal table and could be of help to you.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
I'm 5'11", so i feel your pain. I do amost all of my cutting on the kitchen counter. it's just the right height.

this link shows the folding/rolling cutting table i hope to buy within the next couple of months. i plan to get two so i'll have a nice huge surfaces for the basting and machine quilting phase. i haven't shopped around yet, so don't know if this is the lowest price source.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/sullivans_home_hobby_table.html
Well, with the heights mentioned here I am definately the short one being only 4' 11" and hoping I don't shrink as I get older, hah. :lol: I did get this same folding table PatriceJ is talking about. I thought I would use it and fold down when it isn't in use, only I find I use it (at least half) all the time. I would have loved to get the one I've seen that is similar with the exception that it had drawers under the center part that would be handy to hold all those things you need to have ready to use like your rotary cutter, pins, etc. Then the top wouldn't be cluttered with so much like mine is because sure as I put it away I need it again in short order.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 AM

One of our local quilt shops has purchased those inexpensive plastic-topped tables with extendable legs from Sam's Club or Costco and use one for a cutting table and one for an pressing table. You can adjust them to the height that is comfortable for you.

The ironing table has a plywood or MDF base covered by several layers of batting and one layer of metallic material and then heavy canvas. Everything is stretched as tight as possible and then stapled on the back. The MDF and batting covers can be removed and the table can be used for other things.

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
I'm 5'11", so i feel your pain. I do amost all of my cutting on the kitchen counter. it's just the right height.

this link shows the folding/rolling cutting table i hope to buy within the next couple of months. i plan to get two so i'll have a nice huge surfaces for the basting and machine quilting phase. i haven't shopped around yet, so don't know if this is the lowest price source.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/sullivans_home_hobby_table.html
I have a table like this that I only paid $20 for, but the same person gave me bags and bags of fabric, most at least 3 yds to 15 yds, and over 10 unopened bags of queen size batting. The table works great, and can even be used with just the one side open if you don't need a lot of space.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 PM

I worked with physically challenged adults and raised their tables by cutting 4 pieces of 4"x4"x1' lumber. I then drilled a 1" shallow "hole", the size of the bottom of the table legs, in the center of each of the 12" cut sections and then sat a table leg in each "hole". If a higher table was needed a just stacked and nailed or screwed another board of whatever thickness was desired on to the 4x4. The reason for not using the top end of the 4x4 pieces was that the 12" length base provided more stability. The same method can be used to raise beds, couches and other furniture.
Some "raisers" or now being sold for the disabled and can be found where those supplys are sold.......Lydia
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 PM

I am 4'11ish, so the retail table is too high. I had my Dad take the retail table and rework it so it would be lower and also he put in a set of shelves for storage underneath. It works better than retail, and he worked it to my height. This will probably be one of the last items my Dad will make for me and so it is extra special.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 AM

Wallmart's Fabric Dept is going out of business??? That stinks!

As for the topic at hand, I'm 5'10, and I either use an old dining table (which helps because I can kneel on top of the ruler for making large cuts), or an old "church table" (like a banquet table they use in church halls for social events)... they're a bit taller and fold up flat for storage in seconds.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 PM

1. A quick way to modify a table is to cut PVC pipe in 12" lengths. The PVC must be large enough to fit over your table legs(I buy 1 3/4" diameter) provided you have a table that has curved metal legs. 2. Sam's club and other office supply dealers carry tables that have adjustible legs. 3. Jo Ann's carries a nice cutting table with fold down sides that is perfect for cutting. With the discount coupons, you can get one that does not break most pocketbooks. Hope these suggestions help. Betty
Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM

I just bought one of the fold up cutting tables from Joanns last weekend and I love it. It was on sale for $59 and then I had a $5 off coupon so that made it affordable. I would recommend them to all.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:20 PM

My brother took a counter top (kitchen) and used saw horses to lay it on. He used it for computers. It was about 10 feet long and sturdy. It was very heavy. Oh how I would have loved that. I would have had enough counter top for everything quilt. I would have had two different heights of saw horses; one for sewing machine and the rest for cutting, marking, pressing, etc. He got the counter top from a house that was being remodeled they even delivered. It was beautiful. Think of all the rolling drawers you could get under there!