Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taste change in quilting since you started? >

Taste change in quilting since you started?

Taste change in quilting since you started?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 PM

I still prefer traditional quilt blocks/patterns after more than 20 years but I like it when they are put together in a different way. I have not done any stacking and whacking or anything like that. It just doesn't appeal to me.

My taste in fabric has changed though. I never liked Batiks but they are very slowly growing on me.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 PM

i started from the bottom , a plain nine patch and now that i look back i have moved up the ladder and i have everyone here to thank to getting me where i am now trying differant patterns and techniques after seeing some of the beautiful quilts that are posted i am inspired to keep trying something new to me
Old 11-09-2010, 10:53 PM

I started out the simple patterns, classes. I'm very traditional, soft colors, pastels, roses, victorian style.
Then I took more classes, especially retreats, and learning more techniques I love jumping into bold & different. Bargello, spice swirl, stack n whack, twist n turn, double diamond ruler, anything I can. My personal goal is to make at least one quilt of every technique I can find. I'm collecting for a postage stamp, a watercolor/monet, and learning English paper piecing now. I love paper piecing.
I love log cabin, that block has the most possibilities of any block out there, and now I know 4 ways to do log cabin too. I also want to do a yo-yo quilt, not sure why, just to try it. And fabric, wow, I went from muted to love that sparkle, love fairy frost, miller glitter, anything outlined in a metalic, just adds some pop. I also like to recycle anything into quilts...like the original quilting.
yes, this is very addicting but not hazardous to your health at least ;)
Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 AM

I am finding that i also buy material depending on my mood and that also relates to the type of quilt. I have made a victorian (first time quilt) and now a block quilt with earth colours. Really enjoyed those. Nice to add variety I feel.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 AM

This forum has really gotten me out of a rut. I have always been so critical of my work but you have given me more confidence. I find my taste in fabric has changed a lot. Also am using colors I've never used before.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 AM

I am more the artsy quilter and my sister loves traditional. We both compliment each other when we work together. I am so glad that there are so many options in this world....
Old 11-10-2010, 04:30 AM

I have notice that my fabric choices changed more than the actual quilting--instead of "ho humm" colors I go more for the wilds now? Most of my purchses of fabric are more normal until here lately--I want the wild...makes it more intersting I think...but thats me.

barbara
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 AM

I like all patterns but traditional is my favorite. I'm like a couple of others where colors have changed and I like the civil war fabrics which I didn't like before.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:23 AM

My preferences change all the time too. I was going through my pattern stash and looking and some and saying, "what was I thinking". I will give them to my quilt guild for their "garage sale". I think change is good!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM

My first quilt was a Lone Star and my second was the Dresden Plate. I had never quilted before so didn't really know that these might not be the best 1st projects. I loved them then and I love them now. I've made hundreds since then but I still love the traditional patterns.