Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teflon "slider" sheets - even remotely worth the price? >

Teflon "slider" sheets - even remotely worth the price?

Teflon "slider" sheets - even remotely worth the price?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 AM

What about using freezer paper? I haven't tried it but it seems slick enough on the one side. Then cut the needle and / or bobbin hole. Just thinking.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 AM

I think that if my machine was in a built in desk my slider would work great, however not having a built in I find that my project gets stuck on the edge of the slider.
Prior to getting the slider I cut a hold in a piece of parchment (for the needle down) and wrapped it under the machine and taped it well so there were no edges (kind of like wrapping a gift around the entire base) This worked great but eventually got torn.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
I think that if my machine was in a built in desk my slider would work great, however not having a built in I find that my project gets stuck on the edge of the slider.
Prior to getting the slider I cut a hold in a piece of parchment (for the needle down) and wrapped it under the machine and taped it well so there were no edges (kind of like wrapping a gift around the entire base) This worked great but eventually got torn.
I read somewhere about using a plastic tablecloth. Has anyone tried this? I have been thinking about trying this.

Last edited by kyrose; 08-28-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 AM

I bought one for free motion quilting, but found my fabric always got stuck on the edge of my extension table. The last quilt I fmq'd I moved my machine and extension table to the dining room. I bought an inexpensive flannel backed vinyl tablecloth and cut a small hole in it for my needle. I then used three large black office clamps and pulled the table cloth taut on three edges of my dining table. My quilt slid easily and never got caught. I wish I had thought of this idea sooner!

Last edited by schwanton; 08-28-2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 AM

I did buy the Sew Slip. Much like the Supreme Slider. I don't care for it because my quilt tended to pull the edge of the slider thingie up and so it caused more trouble than without it - My sewing machine bed is very slippery anyway and my acrylic extension table is flush with my sewing table except for about 1/4" so I have no trouble without a slider - the idea of using the silicon kitchen mat thing is genius! I just saw a very large roll of that at the Kitchen Outlet. On the other hand, lots of folks LOVE the Sliders. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM

I have it and love it. I followed Leah Day's advice and taped it down and it's been a great help to me.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Try using a Silicone Spray. I spray my whole table, and it's nice and slippery. I spray my presser feet too. It won't hurt fabric, and is washable. It dries right away too. I use it in my kitchen on my counter tops too. It makes them shine. I get the "Misty Silicone Spray". you can get it at any fabric store. I ordered a whole case of it on line. I use it for everything. Try it and if it doesn't work, them try the silicone sheet.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Yes, I use mine all the time. If I forget I am reminded by the drag factor. It makes a big difference. I use it for full size quilts, small quilts.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
Could you someone describe this oven liner that they purchased instead of the Supreme Slider. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. That does it look like & where besides WalMart can it be purchased. I live in Canada. Would appreciate any help that I can get.
Here is a picture; the Teflon coated oven liner is the steel grey thing. Since I have vinyl over all the pink styrofoam with which I've surrounded my machine, my oven liner would not stay put without the rubber shelf/drawer liner stuff taped to its bottom. The rubber shelf liner also adds weight, which I like, to the oven liner. I bought the oven liner at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, but don't know if they have stores in Canada.[ATTACH=CONFIG]358570[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fmq-setup2.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM

i got my telfon oven liner at Target in the baking area.....it was meant to be put on the bottom of the oven for spills from baking.....it is not the one that would go into a cookie sheet, that one (which I also have) is more rubbery and not near as slick....