Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell Me About Your Handi Quilter... >

Tell Me About Your Handi Quilter...

Tell Me About Your Handi Quilter...

Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
I have an Handiquilter Avante and love it. One of my friends who had a Sweet Sixteen tried the Avante and decided to buy one. She sold her old machine (after having the dealer service it) and the lady that bought it was thrilled. We had a dealer in the same town that I live in that I was not fond of so I actually bought mine in another city about 60 miles away. That was the best decision I ever made. They even gave me their cell phone number in case I had problems during the evening and told me I could call them up to 11 at night!
THAT is wonderful!!! I'm really geared towards a used machine right now but I'd love to get one from a dealer. That customer service is REALLY important to me. I'm kind of thinking right now, worst case scenario I buy what I can afford from WHOEVER, but if I can build a business without payments maybe I could save up to buy what I REALLY want. Ya know?

Originally Posted by aunt eunice View Post
My first machine was an old 24" LA. I purchased my Avante in June; online from Sewing Machines Plus; no HQ dealer less than 2 hrs from me. My husband put the frame together. Questions were easily answered by HQ in Utah. Ordered accessories after purchase, no problems. Innova-22 and A-1were on my short list. Both of them were considerably more expensive than my Avante. The 18" head is much easier to use than the 24"; I'm 5'5". I did pantos and custom on my old machine without a stitch regulator. Love my Avante! I've only quilted 16 tops so far this year, 14 pantos and 2 custom; but it's triple the amount I was able to do on my old machine. Hoping to add ProStitcher some time but it's not a necessity; I enjoy hand guided pantos and learning FMQ. I was accustomed to pushing around a heavy machine but the Avante is lightweight...easy to drive, smooth.
THIS is really great to know because I hadn't thought a whole lot about how hard it would be to do custom work on a huge machine. I have a feeling that's where I'm going with this, because that's what I love. I was thinking minimum I wanted 20" but now I'm not so sure. I think what I can AFFORD will be more like 16 or 18 inches, mid arm or the smallest long arm, but it's something to get me started. But I do see these HUGE Gammill's with 24" throats - knowing how heavy they are, it's gotta be awfully difficult to quilt detailed quilting in a space that large. Hmmm...this is really something to think about.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM

HAHAHA - just a little update for anyone following along - I just got off the phone with Handi Quilter's customer service and explained about this Dealer trying to pass his floor model off as a year old...I explained that he gave me the promotional DVD and then proceeded to show me the VHS instructional tapes for the supposedly one year old Avante, and the woman on the phone snorted with laughter!! LOL*** We were both laughing...but seriously she did tell me to get the serial number and she would help me date the machine or help me find another Dealer. She said she couldn't even remember when they last had VHS tapes but it's been a LONG time, and the HQ18 has been around about 6-7 years she said, so this is likely on the older end. She was very kind and helpful...just a note I thought I'd share!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Glad you talked to them, Pumpkin............
The part about the length of the machine. Yes -- reaching is not something you do when quilting. If you have a computer and let IT do the reaching then fine, but for custom work we usually work in a much smaller area. I took a class from a professional and she admitted though she had a 20+ (can't remember size), she used only about an 8" section. If you go to my blog you'll see what I've done with my 18"....I can't complain. The only time in the 3 yrs that I wished I had long was when I was doing a 24" sashing with feathers. Would have been nice to not have to roll it back and forth. However, I could have made it easier just by taking the quilt off and rotating it........but, no, I did it the hard way. LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
What a deal you got! What size was it and did it include the frame?
It came with what is called the Portable Professional frame. It sits on 2 VERY heavy tables. I just had it serviced and the man said these machines should be good for 30 years. Look at the old Featherweights.

I found a much newer machine for a friend on the studio frame. It had a stitch regulator and lots of goodies were included on the price. I forget exactly what she paid but it was around $5,000. I am on a HQ yahoo group and they regularly list machines for sale there. Someone is always upgrading and selling what they already have.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Pumpkinpatchquilter......I bought a used HQ16 about 5 years ago that was from a local quilt shop. The owner had to upgrade to a newer model since she sells HQ's. I went to a workshop there a couple of weeks ago and bought the Avante with Pro-Stitcher. Now I am selling the HQ16. It has lighted front handle bars and handle bars on the back to use with groovy boards or pantographs, plus a 10' table frame on wheels for easy mobility. Has stitch regulator and comes with HQ leaders, laser, stylus, bobbin winder with 5 bobbins, oil and batting bar for large rolls of batting. It runs great and I just had it in the shop to be cleaned and serviced in June of 2013. I still have the HQ16 set up so it can be tried before purchasing. I live in Parkersburg, WV. I am asking $4500.

Last edited by LongBranch1753; 08-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.