Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell Me About Your Handi Quilter... >

Tell Me About Your Handi Quilter...

Tell Me About Your Handi Quilter...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 AM

I'm also wondering how different the HQ is from the other big names? The Gammill - APQS - Nolting? I tested the Gammill and liked it, but it was HEAVY. I would imagine the weight would be something I'd really have to get used to.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM

Pumpkinpatchquilter --- According to my research, HQ Avante has ALL the parts made exclusively for the Avante. Other machines in that price range couldn't say that. I went to the NWQuilt Expo in Portland a few years ago and "test drove" all of them. In my opinion, Avante was the lightest. If you have to move it around the quilt (and you do), then you'll want a light one IMHO. My shoulders still get tired when I do a lot of feathers -- I can't imagine what it'd be like on a big one. The other quilt machine that wasn't there but I hear a lot about and considered was the INNOVA. I debated between both. My decision for Avante came because we had a dealer close by (30 miles away). AND they offered a monthly class for learning. I have learned a lot from the internet (Youtube), but one on one classes are nice, too.

Oh - another thought --- the Gammils, etc, I believe do more stitches per minute than the Avante. However, because I'm old and slow (), this works for me. I know Charisma can quilt at 3000 spm and does an awesome job. However, the Avante does 1800 spi and I can't ramp it up that fast. Just WAY too fast for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Amandasgramma, Am I correct in saying that HQ also makes the BL, just as TL makes Pfaff/Viking? The BL Crown Jewel is on my list of possible long arm purchases. It's just like the Avante, but less expensive and there's a dealer near me (he doesn't offer classes on the machine though).

PumpkinPatch, I know what you mean about changing your mind and considering different machines all the time. I'm somewhat embarrassed by how indecisive I've been about machines. Eventually we'll both just have to make a decision and not look back!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Amandasgramma, Am I correct in saying that HQ also makes the BL, just as TL makes Pfaff/Viking? The BL Crown Jewel is on my list of possible long arm purchases. It's just like the Avante, but less expensive and there's a dealer near me (he doesn't offer classes on the machine though).

PumpkinPatch, I know what you mean about changing your mind and considering different machines all the time. I'm somewhat embarrassed by how indecisive I've been about machines. Eventually we'll both just have to make a decision and not look back!
My understanding is yes, they do make the BabyLock. I, personally, feel having a dealer close at hand is IMPORTANT! Can you imagine the cost and time involved to send your machine in???
My first boo-boo was the VERY day I had the machine set up in my shop. I tossed the laser light to the rear of the machine..........didn't even think about the cord getting tangled up in the handwheel. YIP! BIG crash and the timing was totally off. Had to take it in (my biggest embarrassment in my life!!!). So -- can you imagine having to SEND it in???? You never know what will happen!!! But this is my experience and opinion.

And don't worry about the indecision --- it's normal and SHOULD happen!!! After all, it's a BIG expense!!!! Wouldn't buy a car at the drop of a hat, would you?? Well, I did and was always sorry for it.....LOL LOL
Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM

I bought a HQ Sixteen about 3 months ago that is 6 years old and I dearly love it. I would highly recommend this machine, but like another quilter said you could send the model # in and find out how old it is. The wonderful lady that I bought mine from had taken wonderful care of the machine. I was very fortunate to find mine.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM

amandasgramma - OH NO about your first experience with the HQ!!! I would be devastated...just to be so thrilled to finally have your long arm and then OH NO!!! It already had to be fixed!

Thank you all so much for your help. I really like the HQ - and I agree it was really light and very easy to maneuver. If the dealer will give me a reasonable price on it I'd consider it, but I would like something that stitches faster. I'm kind of at the mercy of my budget and what I can find in my budget...but I think this one is high on my list.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 AM

PumpkinPatch, I thought of you when I was looking at used machines on LongArmUniversity this morning. They have a few HQ Avantes. I'm not sure where you live or what price point you've decided on, but thought I'd at least mention the site in case you hadn't seen it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
PumpkinPatch, I thought of you when I was looking at used machines on LongArmUniversity this morning. They have a few HQ Avantes. I'm not sure where you live or what price point you've decided on, but thought I'd at least mention the site in case you hadn't seen it.
Thank you for mentiong it Nilla! I have seen the site but haven't been on in a while - I'm so glad you brought it up because it will give me a better idea of what I can offer this dealer for his machine without him scoffing at me. Although - considering he's trying to pull a fast one over on me I don't know if he'd accept anyhow! Oh well, we shall see.

Thank you everyone for your input, you all here have been SO helpful!!! I think definitely the HQ is high on my list - as well as the Innova. We are still leaning towards a used machine but the more my Husband researches with me the more he's seeing the value in these - at least for a total addict like me. Lol* If he lets me go new, I think I'm sold in Innova though because of the customer service (my HQ dealer I don't trust at all now) and the stitch speed...BUT are there as many accessories for the Innova as the HQ??
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 AM

I have an Handiquilter Avante and love it. One of my friends who had a Sweet Sixteen tried the Avante and decided to buy one. She sold her old machine (after having the dealer service it) and the lady that bought it was thrilled. We had a dealer in the same town that I live in that I was not fond of so I actually bought mine in another city about 60 miles away. That was the best decision I ever made. They even gave me their cell phone number in case I had problems during the evening and told me I could call them up to 11 at night!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM

My first machine was an old 24" LA. I purchased my Avante in June; online from Sewing Machines Plus; no HQ dealer less than 2 hrs from me. My husband put the frame together. Questions were easily answered by HQ in Utah. Ordered accessories after purchase, no problems. Innova-22 and A-1were on my short list. Both of them were considerably more expensive than my Avante. The 18" head is much easier to use than the 24"; I'm 5'5". I did pantos and custom on my old machine without a stitch regulator. Love my Avante! I've only quilted 16 tops so far this year, 14 pantos and 2 custom; but it's triple the amount I was able to do on my old machine. Hoping to add ProStitcher some time but it's not a necessity; I enjoy hand guided pantos and learning FMQ. I was accustomed to pushing around a heavy machine but the Avante is lightweight...easy to drive, smooth.