Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me to change my rotary blade!!! >

Tell me to change my rotary blade!!!

Tell me to change my rotary blade!!!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 View Post
I have the same problem. The last time I changed my blade it was harder to cut than it was before! And it wasn't really cutting the fabric as much as it was fraying and shredding it. It was getting little scrolls of lint everywhere. It was horrible. I decided it must have been the blade and I went to change it and it was the weirdest thing. I had accidentally put in two new blades instead of one. The oil on them made them stick together. Lesson learn. I am now CAREFUL when I replace my blades. It's just as important to me to only put one blade in as it is to not cut myself in the process of switching them out.
I did this once too, but only once. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. Like you, I think I was mainly trying not to cut myself.

Dina
Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Change that blade. I hate using a dull blade. I too buy my blades on sale. I never had much success with the blade sharpener
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Been there, done that, many, many times. The time to change my blade would have been when I had to cut 2-3 times to get a full cut, using heavier pressure. Ordinarily that might just make me stubborn, however, recovering from rotator cuff surgery in my right shoulder (I'm right-handed of course) was just plain stupid. Finally, common sense won out, and I changed the blade, now my rotary cutter cuts through fabric like butter. Yup, stubborn, stupid, that's me. At least I didn't do any serious harm to my shoulder, and it's healing nicely. However, 3 months without quilting - time for sanity check. LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM

Somewhere I have bookmarked an outfit that will sharpen your old blades after you buy a few from them. I intend to try them out.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM

I do the same thing, even tho I have the best blade sharpener! Tuecut is an electric one that sharpens all 3 sizes, However is you want a dull blad with nicks sharpen without the oil you put on the stones! don't ask how I know!
Jennifer
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 PM

I can sometimes increase the use of the blade and remove tiny nicks by running it back and forth through layers of aluminum foil. Gains about another day of cutting, is indeed easier actually to just change it.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM

I've accidently done the 2 blade thing - but I think holding the thing wrong doesn't help. I use a TrueCut. I took the guide out and use it as a regular rotary. It will cut fine, start skipping, then cut really well again. I should think if the blade was bad, the skips would be consistent, but no. So I don't like to change until I figure out what is going on - whether it's me or the blade.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
Well, you could turn it around to get a little more use out of it! But honestly, since you can get them fairly cheaply at harbor freight, change it!!!!!
I just went to my Harbor Freight store and inquired about these... they looked at me like I was crazy! Any chance you have a name, brand or item number for these? They said that they could look it up if they had any of those. If not, do you remember what department they were in or what items were near them? Thank you. =)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM

Don't do what I did. I was changing the blade on my cutter and I sliced the tip of my finger. I can believe how much it bled. It was deep. So now someone mentioned that I wear gloves just for changing the blade. I don't have any problems just cutting, it's changing the blade.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM

Ok, I have it and guess what, I had to press down so hard that I gave myself carpal tunnel. It was very painful for a very long time but I did what the doc said and they got better. It's better to spend the few bucks that have CT. I don't do it any more lol.