Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me I'm not alone

Not at all. I was in the auto parts store and told the girl at the counter the guys shirt would look good in a quilt. Of course she looked at me like I was nuts but that's ok. lol

You arent alone!!!!!!

So funny!!! I never thought of using denim for a quilt. I had a yard sale a few months ago and I had a stack of jeans (some of them never worn) for 25 cents and a lady told me she wanted the whole stack. I wondered why she didn't even look at the size...maybe she had the same idea?

Oh goodness, not just clothes, have you checked out carpets, tile, bathroom floors? etc etc. At a convention once, a friend and I went to the lobby at 2AM with some tracing paper, and copied the floor pattern. The desk clerk was really looking at us and wondering if he should call the men in white jackets! We explained to him what we were going to use the design for but he still looked at us strangely. We laughed so hard we almost couldn't go back to sleep. Humm wonder if that is why one of the roommates will not room with us anymore. grin

A quilting buddy and I saw a fabulous shirt on this guy and she said...I need that fabric for my next quilt...he looked at us like we were nuts and then realized we were serious and almost ran away!! That guy was moving fast to save his shirt...LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Well...if you are odd...you aren't alone! :roll: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Carol in Colorado
    Oh dear, I thought I was alone. I walked down the hall at church the other day and saw a picture frame with different size prints in it. I've walked by it a hundred times, but this time I stopped and said to someone walking by, "that would make a great quilt pattern!" They looked at me funny and kept walking :)
    I haven't even finished my first quilt and sorry to say don't own :-( :cry: But I now do the same things as you ladies!! :-o :-P :lol:

Oh yes!, Thread is thicker than water !! We are most definitely related!!! i had a very violent stomach virus a couple of years ago and my hubby had to call our Dr in the middle of the nite for medication ( I tend to dehydrate quickly). My Dr called me back afternoon the next day just to check on me (he is a sweetheart) and after talking with hubby he asked if there was anything else he could do for me or if I had any questions. I told my hubby to ask Dr if he had any more of those plaid shirts he wears to his office. He laughed and said I was on the mend. He knows I am a quilter and we have had many discussions on my inheriting his shirts. I suggested that his wife buy bigger shirts so i would inherit more yardage.

Every Sunday I go to Goodwill (one color tag is always $1 per item) and shop in their men's shirt section. The tags always say if they're 100% cotton and there's always at least a yard and sometimes more (thank goodness for huge men) in every shirt.

I have actually had my hubby say "oh no, hope she don't ask them where they got that rooster, cat clothing from!" and try to steer me away from them.... :oops:

I hope not! I have been having trouble deciding how I was going to set my DGD quilt. I had to go to the restroom, ( I was at Wal Mart) As soon as I walked in the floor nearly jumped at me. That's the way it's gonna be done! (I won't tell her of course!)

When I learned to take pics on my 35 mil camera, I did the same thing everything I saw became a possible photo. Now I'm doing the same thing with materials everywhere! Drapes, clothes,knitting patterns for designs....
    It's just so cool to see things in a different light. LOL

A friend just sent me an email entitled Brussels in Bloom
    Google it. Talk about getting quilt ideas from things we see.
    This is just gorgeous.

Quilting changes the way we look at the world.

I fell in love with a piece of fabric on a pillow one time. I wanted to buy it and asked the clerk the price; it wasn't tagged. Sigh, it was $4,950 and came with a sofa! LOL...

You most certainly are not alone. I see quilting in almost everything. I just finished a Dresden Plate with the inside of envelopes (you know, the pretty designs inside the envelopes). Used it as a cover for a booklet I had to make for work. The other lady here in the office didnt even notice the paper designs until I told her where I got them. She did however, know that it was a Dresden Plate. When you look for art, you can see it almost everywhere.

Blog Entries
    This brings another subject to mind. Why do the mfg. use such bold fabric to make clothes for large women?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanjun
    This brings another subject to mind. Why do the mfg. use such bold fabric to make clothes for large women?
    I am with you . The other thing I don't understand is the fabrics. awful unless you are paying very high prices and most of the prints are pretty bad too. I see lots of cute prints, fabrics and styles that could be used for us larger size women but they stop them in size 10 I have never been a 10. Went from kids sizes straight to a misses 12 when I was a teenager

I can't tell you how many times I have emberessed my self by going up to someone and touched a peace of there clothing. or said to them I would love a piece of it for a quilt. I still don't buy fabric to quilt. I quilt to buy fabric.

My husband died over two years ago and I'm making quilts out of his cotton shirts for my six children. I have six made and have lots of shirts left to make more for my grandchildren. I even have one started to keep for myself. This has been a real labor of love and special gifts for my family.
    Thanks for sharing about what we see people wearing. You are not odd at all. Just another quilter!!!

Blog Entries
    my father was in intensive care when I brother had to come from work to his bedside. After a few minutes I told him his tie would be great for quilting. no your not mad we all are.

cka

I've asked people if I can take a picture of their clothes so I can remember the fabric's pattern or color. My family just looks the other direction. I always carry pieces of tracing paper in my purse so I can trace wallpaper patterns. Nope, you are not crazy...you are a member of a very elite club...Quilters!!

Have commented on men's shirts also, and to the man wearing them. They seemed flattered.

Blog Entries
    I am handquilting a memory quilt right now made from my sister's husband's tropical shirts. He always wore them and he died last year. They are very pretty and the quilt is nice but that material is hard to work with. it wants to go catty Wompus. When I saw them, I could not believe the beauty of them.

I get weird looks all the time from people when I tell them that their clothing item would make a great addition to what I call "a quilt in progress". A great place to find wonderful items where no one looks at you weird is Goodwill. They do specials on Sundays to move merchandise. I found some great jeans for $1. a pair.

When working with odd fabrics like those found in alot of tropical shirts I like to use a very light weight stabilizer. Sometimes a little harder to get the needle through but it helps it keep the shape.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast