Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me what's happening to my stitches......Please! >

Tell me what's happening to my stitches......Please!

Tell me what's happening to my stitches......Please!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks for your input.........yes I had done all the checks and rechecks on threading path, needle size and new, bobbin direction, and rechecking tension. I am thinking the speed must be the issue. I'm getting ready to start a new project, so will report back on results. Thanks again; you Ladies rock!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 AM

On my Tiara, when I get the little knots on the back, it is always a tension problem. Even though I may think I have the tension right, I need to tweek it a little more. Good luck resolving your problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
When all else fails start over - change the needle, re-thread the machine, put in a new bobbin and make sure the machine is clean and oiled.

..and check for lint.clean out that bobbin area thoroughly. Machines hate lint and can cause many burbs!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

If a tech said to use size 18 with every thread, I would just as soon ask my butcher his recommendation. LOL. Surely he couldn't have meant that.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I have no answer but thanks for the link. Feline fanatic. Added to my favorites
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
A size 18 is the correct size needle to use with King Tut. Go here and download the "Longarm Machine Thread Reference Guide" http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/ Hang it up near your LA machine and use it. Remember it is the thread you use that dictates what needle size to use.

Have you tried changing the needle? Did you completely rethread the top? A top thread break can cause the thread path to jump out of whack, had that happen to me once, it double wrapped around the needle take up. Also you may wish to try slowing down. New LAQ who do a loopy design like you pictured tend to go way too fast and then slow down to complete the loop. These drastic changes in speed causes backlash to happen in the bobbin. The bobbin is spinning inside the bobbin case and it causes these loops/skipped stitches to happen. You can switch to magna glide bobbins which help backlash issuses. But, more importantly, you need to try to regulate your speed so you are going a more even speed without the drastic slowdowns and speed ups. Yes your stitch regulator is keeping up with you but the bobbin isn't. This isn't a race so try slowing down a bit.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
This may not be the same but varigated King Tut thread on my Bernina made a little thread knot right before the needle hole while quilting. Scared me when the thread and needle broke. I watched the needle until I finished the quilt and had to stop, cut the thread and re-thread twice more. The thread seemed very linty and that's what made the little ball before the needle. I tried several different needles as well and went with the needle where I could get the balanced stitch. I have not bought a spool of the varigated since.
I use a Superior 100/16 top stitch needle when I'm using King Tut threads. It improved my quilting a lot. I quilt on a Bernina 930 or Viking Sapphire 875.
Sharon
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM

A couple of thoughts (I'm fresh from a 3 day class with Jamie Wallen and comment #1 is from what he taught us)

1. If you can see stars when you hold your quilt up to the light, and you're using no larger than an 18 needle: your tension is too tight. Do his tension test, and probably lower the upper tension. We tend to run our tension -way- tighter than we need to. KingTut is a 40wt cotton thread. It's thick, but it's easier to break than a comparable poly. I would run it as loose as I can get away with.

2. Some KingTut is crosswound, and some is stack wound. Which spool/cone do you have? If it's stack wound, it needs to unwind with the spool turning, not from the top of the spool. If it's a cone, it's probably alright on your machine. My LA dealer told me that if I check their forums that by far the most "difficult" thread to work with - based on the posts - is the KingTut. He also told me that by far the most loved thread to work with - KingTut.

3. I agree that it looks a lot like bobbin backlash on the back of the quilt. Can you load a test sammie and try with 2 different colors and do a significant amount of the same pattern? The reason I say significant is that we often quilt a little differently when we "test" than when we do an actual quilt. (I tend to be a little smoother around corners during a test than when I first start on a quilt, because I don't "care" about the test, and I don't have to think my way out of a jam. Of course if my brain would just get out of my way, I'd do a lot better all around... I digress.)
Old 11-22-2013, 12:43 PM

What a good thread, I am just starting on a long arm and appreciate all the info I can get. Thanx guys
Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM

This has been an interesting thread (pun intended). I have an HQ16 and experience this type of frustration occasionally. One thing that seems to help is using a Magic Genie bobbin washer. I also use them in my Janome (they come in two different sizes, one for domestic machines and one for longarm machines...but you can probably use the smaller one in both machines with no problem). I have heard that the magna glide pre-wound bobbins are also helpful.

There are two excellent online resources for HandiQuilter users: the yahoo group for HandiQuilter, and the HQ Forum (which you can get to from the HandiQuilter website...I think you look under education). The HandiQuilter staff monitor the latter and jump in with suggestions as needed.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 PM

MagnaGlide bobbins are great! They take up a lot of the backlash. I would use them before the washers. The other thing that makes me ask is: are your bobbins pre-wound or are you winding your own? The ones you wind can be less consistent and could be causing you some grief. If you're using pre-wound, make sure you clean under your bobbin tension spring more often. Whatever the "glue" is that they use to make the thread stay in a doughnut gets under the spring and causes funky tension too.