Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me what's happening to my stitches......Please! >

Tell me what's happening to my stitches......Please!

Tell me what's happening to my stitches......Please!

Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Also, I was using a #19 needle a few weeks ago, but my technician said to stick with #18. Doesn't it make sense to use a bigger needle if I'm using a thicker thread? I'm always learning new stuff and love it when you offer your expertise.

Absolutely makes sense! My Gammill dealer told me to use a very large needle and slow down when using metallic thread on my machine. . . . best wishes.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:41 PM

seriously? King Tut is a dream to work with, for me. I love it.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 PM

Great thread! I was just in a long arm class today with Pat Barry (a really good teacher) and asked this very question. She suggested, beyond the normal checking tension, lint, etc, that I check 2 things: that tension on intermediate tensioner was not too tight--if it is, the top thread may be pushed out of the discs and then slides back in--but leaves a loop of thread on the back. The second reason she said this happens is that the thread may have a twist in it (not visible) that could even be from the factory--but when it comes through the thread path it stays twisted and,again, causes this loop on the back--the solution on this is to use all 3 of the guide holes (we were working on a Gammill and that is what I have--not all machines apparently have 3 holes in the thread guide between the intermediate tensioner and the front tensioner--but on the Gammill you typically skip the middle guide hole when threading). She said this gives enough extra tension to smooth and untwist the thread.

I've noticed this problem more on king tut than on so fine thread, so think that the 2nd reason may be what is happening for me--although I do htink I had the tension set too tight when I was using Glide--it kept popping out of the tension disc. One other thing she said was that most of us probably wind our bobbins too tight--a comment I had also heard from a Gammill dealer at the Des Moines AQS show.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 PM

Don't forget the great customer service with HandiQuilter. If you continue to have issues, I would give them a call or send them an email with the link. I had an issue on a Friday afternoon. I thought I wouldn't hear until Monday, but they called back right away and of course user error and I happily quilted all weekend.