Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tendonitis from Quilt-making? >

Tendonitis from Quilt-making?

Tendonitis from Quilt-making?

Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM

From a quilt making standpoint, I would invest in some ergonomic tools. I'm not chiropractor or even someone who has experianced tendonitis so I can't claim this will 100% help. But they're supposed to be easier on your hands so it might be worth looking into. If anything you should talk with your chiropractor on what you can do to treat or fix the problem.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by sushi
Anyone else out there suffering from a very sore thumb(s) due to quilt-making? If so, have you found anything that helps?

I damaged the tendon(s) at the base of my left thumb several years ago when I tied too many fleece blankets in a short period of time. While it has never fully healed, I find that cutting, piecing, quilting, and binding quilts exacerbate the problem. (The worst offenders are quilting and binding.)
Check out Liuxin Newman's book & DVD _Perfect Hand Quilting Without Pain_. She has done extensive research into the ergonomics of hand quilting and her methods really work.

She uses a thimble with very deep dimples, a quilt very loose in the hoop so it can be folded and distributing the task of quilting between three fingers to reduce the strength needed to push the needle to literally almost nothing. I still have problems using too much strength and I feel like I'm barely touching the needle!

No pricked fingers, no tendon pain, no need to hurt yourself. Just beautiful hand quilted stitches, up to 16 per inch counted on one side (depending on fabric and batting used).
Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 AM

i hadc2 have surgery on my thumb.wasn' 2 bad.hope 2 be back sewing in a litte time.the bone was worn ouy with arithrisis.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 AM

I wear a Futuro brace on my right hand. The only thing that really helps is complete rest at this point. Next week I am going to try accupuncture before going to a hand surgeon. This just started this summer and I have gotten so far behind on WIPs and things I want to do. Good luck..it is not fun!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Shaklee Alfalfa sure works in combination with Vit C for all the arthritis and tendon type problems. Shaklee.com all natural vitamins and minerals as found in nature. you are after all what you eat.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Carole LeRoy has also written on Pain Free Quilting. You can look her up on the web under 'pain free quilting.' She has a quilting B&B in Appleton, WI which is lovely. Samll groups go there for a stitchery: embroidery, knitting, crochet, or quilting vacation.

ali
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 AM

Right now my index finger on my right hand is killing me. I took a class at the beginning of August on reverse fusible applique where you use a surgical seam ripper held flat on the freezer paper/fabric/fusible combo and cut out the shapes. You have to push fairly hard on the seam ripper and it made my finger really, really sore. I agravated it when I did the hand sewing on a binding a week ago at retreat. Then I hand basted a quilt and after it was quilted I worked the thread ends in and it's back to really sore.

Of course using the mouse and typing don't help it a whole lot either.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM

I found out mine was from all the ironing... with a heavy iron full of water .
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mskityocat
Shaklee Alfalfa sure works in combination with Vit C for all the arthritis and tendon type problems. Shaklee.com all natural vitamins and minerals as found in nature. you are after all what you eat.
I'm interested in what kind of arthritis problems it helps. I have advanced arthritis in my left knee, not painful but it does affect my walking.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM

I started having problems with tendonitis about 14 years ago -- it never really does heal. It just subsides. It's an inflamation of the tendon - so anything that will help with swelling will help - ice, advil etc. My chiropracter at the time was treating me with ultra-sound to help reduce the swelling. I rarely have troubles any more - but not sure if it's just because I've modified the way I do things so as not to aggrivate it, or if it has to do with being healthier in general.