Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tension issues

Blog Entries

Tension issues

Ok, heres whats happening, not sure if it's upper or lower thread. From the front stitches look good. The back the top thread is little loops & bobbin thread is just layin there.
    True4uca

Sounds like the bobbin thread tension is too tight. Make a little adjustment, one at a time, until you find the right tension on the bobbin case....righty = tight and lefty= loose. If the top thread has little loops showing through the back, the tension may be a little loose for the top thread, too. Try tightening the tension on top a bit and loosening the tension on the bobbin thread, too. There is a nice video on the Internet by Jamie Wallen about thread tension. There is also a good thread therapy DVD by Superior Threads. Sometimes this is offered free for the cost of $3.95 shipping. Anytime you use two different weight threads, you will want to do a test run on scrap material before doing the actual project. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I've always been told if the bottom stitches aren't right it's the top thread.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    I've always been told if the bottom stitches aren't right it's the top thread.
    Yes this is true. If you have loops on the bottom, the issue is with your top thread. Re-thread completely, and if you're still having problems then adjust the tension.

Actually ... I had this problem just the other day and it was the bobbin that was the problem. When I put the bobbin in the case, I forgot to pull the thread through the bobbin tensioner. Check that first.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Maybe this will help.

http://www.apqs.com/adjust-tension/

Blog Entries
    Well after a morning of appointments I was able to talk myself into having another round with my machine. First I just sat and looked at it. Then a light blub moment. The only thing I didn't change yesterday was my walking foot. In my defence I was doing some stitch in the ditch quilting. I switched to a zig-zag foot (it was handy LOL). It sews fine. What can be wrong with my walking foot. Do you think my machine senses I've been looking at other machines and is throwing a hissy fit.(grin).
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    Sounds like the bobbin thread tension is too tight. Make a little adjustment, one at a time, until you find the right tension on the bobbin case....righty = tight and lefty= loose. If the top thread has little loops showing through the back, the tension may be a little loose for the top thread, too. Try tightening the tension on top a bit and loosening the tension on the bobbin thread, too. There is a nice video on the Internet by Jamie Wallen about thread tension. There is also a good thread therapy DVD by Superior Threads. Sometimes this is offered free for the cost of $3.95 shipping. Anytime you use two different weight threads, you will want to do a test run on scrap material before doing the actual project. Good luck.
    Thank you for this info righty=tight left loose. I seem to read the manual & do things exactly opposite to what they say.
    True4uca

Try rethreading the machine, a lot of times that will correct the problem.