Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: test block

Angry test block

Am I the only one that makes a test block prior to starting on the actual fabric? I have made so many mistakes that I find if I mess up the scrap block and have to fix the mistake I have saved myself some greif.

I don't do it and there have been many times that I wished I had. I now more often will just cut out and do one block first before cutting out everything.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    It is a habit that I am trying to make! It saves so much grief!
    Cherylsea

This sounds like a REALLY good idea. Then we can make quilts from our "try-outs". Nothing wasted -- lots gained!

Blog Entries
    i do if it is something new- a new technique- something i'm just not sure about- those practice blocks come in handy later
    you can use them for small projects (the front of a tote bag, a pot holder, something to practice a quilting design on) or make a sampler quilt out of them later- when i find i have many that i doubt i will use for anything i pass them on to someone else who will put them to use...practice blocks saves lots of good fabric- and frustration
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I do most of the time, it can save a LOT of trouble if you can work out any kinks before you cut into your quilt fabric.
    I save these blocks for scrappy samplers
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Yes, I would much rather practice with some scrap bits of fabrics. It gives you a chance to find any problems you might have.

YES!!! I often get an idea and actually graph it out on paper, but am not sure that those measurements are accurate even tho I KNOW the graph paper is 1/4 inch squares. So out comes the cheapo broadcloth and I make a test block. Sometimes the block ends up being too cumbersome (too many parts so has to be broken down futher) and sometimes I just hate the process and scrap the whole idea. I KNOW that taking the time to try out a new or different sized design has saved me mega time and bucks in the long run!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    Wish I had developed that habit!! I have screwed up many a block--in fabric that was precious. I am learning though--just not as fast as I would wish!

Blog Entries
    i don't. but so many times i wish i had. thanks for the reminder. i'm about to start another big one
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I did that on Monday with an applique block. Good thing. I didn't like the stitch I started using, didn't like the color I started using, had to order some new thread and tried out several stitches before I decided which one I would use. Also decided I needed to make the block bigger to start with even though I will end up with the same size. I made several changes because of the ideas I got from the applique thread that is going.

Blog Entries
    I usually cut out enough piecews to do a block so I can see how it will actueally look with the colors I've chosen. If I like it, I continue to mark and cut!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

I usually do! But I've now learned that I should do this from scraps or maybe, 'ugly' fabric - so if I haven't purchased enough extra fabric for a test block, I'm not working out the kinks on the fabric for the quilt! Especially when I'm making a quilt from Fat Quarters!
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

I don't intentionally make a test block, but sometimes the first block or two doesn't pass muster, so it becomes a test block. Our guild made a quilted van cover from all our "test" blocks. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rs-t22705.html

Blog Entries
    I have never done this, but everything I read recommends doing this. I'm thinking maybe I will from now on since I am beginning to machine piece. Everything prior has been hand-pieced, so much more time consuming.

Blog Entries
    i do only when i am trying something really new such as paper piecing a new pattern or a block i am recreating without pattern measurements or a pattern, only a picture to guide me.

I haven't so far but you have a great idea. I,m going to start.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Power Poster
    Occasionally the directions are unclear - or just plain wrong. I'd rather mess up scraps than the real thing.

But then there is "what to do with all those stray blocks"?

Blog Entries
    Twice I did and both times I needed them! In fact I just finished repairing a hole in my GS's quilt with a block I'd pieced, layered and quilted! Can't tell the difference. Forget what happened with the other, but I was equally as happy.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Only if it is a complicated block with a design that Ive never tried before.
    Most blocks are simple to do with methods already done before like flying geese and HST etc.

Blog Entries
    Over the years, I have gotten in the habit of doing test blocks. It has saved me alot of heartache over this time. I only cut out enough for a couple of blocks. I do more than one to compare layouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Needle Up View Post
    Am I the only one that makes a test block prior to starting on the actual fabric? I have made so many mistakes that I find if I mess up the scrap block and have to fix the mistake I have saved myself some greif.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I like the idea of making a test block. It reminds me of crocheting or knitting a swatch when you start a pattern. Sometimes I have found that the fabric didn't behave the way I thought it would (in ironing or color) so I can try out another idea. Great reminder!
    Charlie DiSante