Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM

It can get very annoying when people offer your services to other people, they have no idea how much time is involved.

In the end your time is not your own and this is very stressfull. I always say to continued requests " I make things because I want too not because I have to". I give all of my many quilts away to friends either for birthdays or for no reason at all just to surprise them but it is my choice. You will have to be strong and not let people take advantage of you. Money cannot buy time and money isn't everything anyway.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
...However, she's getting married in July and started hinting about the double irish chain again. I just smile at her. Not going to happen. Maybe I should sign her up for the class as part of her wedding gift!!!
"sign her up for the class..." PERFECT!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM

I spent the last couple hrs. trying to find a discontinued yarn because a friend who did me a HUGE favor wants a knitted scarf like one I made myself a few years ago. I offered to make something for her and she chose a scarf. Now we will have to find a substitute. Over the years I have done mosaic work and I still have people ask me if I would make them stepping stones. Nope - don't do that any more! I have all the stuff, I just don't want to do it. And I have tried the high price method - I figure if someone wants to pay a high price then I can drag out the stuff and make whatever.....unless I really don't want to do it, then I just say "no...but thanks for asking". Best wishes whatever your decision.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM

My husband made doll beds and I made the quilts for them. Several people were just going to die if we didn't make them each one! My husband said I did this for love, no amount of money would be enough to duplicate them. He says when it becomes a job it isn't fun any more. So true!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:51 PM

What's wrong with just saying 'no' politely? That prevents all the 'begging' or trying to talk me into it. I put it very nicely of course. Something like, "Oh...I'm sorry...I only quilt for pleasure." or "I'm SO sorry ... I don't quilt for hire." And then I might suggest someone else who would do it for them.

I used to make a lot of excuses that weren't actually true and felt bad about it later...or I would do it, while all the time resenting the fact that I was doing something I didn't want to do.

Once I got brave enough to use the "NO" word...everything got a little less complicated.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM

I do hair and I have a shop in my home...I have had people ask me to make them a quilt....
Last thing I have done for a friend was to remake a top in a dress& her sister a jacket to go with her dress....
I also did the hair fir the wedding I and I have got a whole 30.00 when all was said and done... I am so dumb... lol
Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I have a sister I love with all my heart! She is an artist and while she does beautiful work, she is mostly known locally. However, she does ask hefty prices for her artwork. I am not a huge fan of art you hang on the wall but a few years back I purchased one of her pieces at a showing and she gave me a family discount but it still cost me $500! The size is about 12" square. Now I only did this to be supportive of her and honestly, it was painful. Well.....she had been harassing me for some time about when was I gonna make her a quilt? She started saying it in front of others something like: "well she keeps promising me a quilt but I never see it!" then she lost most of her belongings in a house fire and I finally got around to making her the quilt. I gave it to her and I did intend it as a gift but to this day I have been upset buy the fact she just took it and said "thanks". It is as if she is the artist and what I do is just for play!
She will go on and on about the time and money she puts in her artwork and that she deserves to be compensated for it. I wonder if she has any idea of the time and money ($400) I put into making her quilt! I had to pay the long armer since I don't do that. I know she has to have some idea because of her own work, but for some reason, mine doesn't count...... Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, this has sooo bothered me!
This would really have bothered me, too....I think I would have bought a blanket from the store to replace fireloss, and when she wanted a quilt priced it accordingly and in the same terms as she values her artwork.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I was asking 45$. Your price is pretty low..IMHO.

SANDY
I was also hoping she meant a $30 profit, not the final price...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 PM

>>>>Sorry for the rant, but this is a subject that try hits home for me.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Hi,
Loved this post and replies.......I am pretty good at saying "no" now, but wasn't always the case. My best friend and I always joke that I took her assertiveness training class 101....I learned to say NO! Sometimes I think I went on to get my master degree! I say NO pretty quick now.
I quilt and machine embroider. I gave a bride to be a stack of kitchen hand towels in various colors with seasonal things embroidered on them. She loved them and many shower guests were asking if they could buy some from me, until I gave them a price....didn't sell a one! I said $15-18 a towel....guess they thought I had a towel tree in my backyard and picked those nice towels to embroider! Add the cost of the towel, (on sale, of course) emb. thread, stabilizer, my time....adds up to more than my stated amount.
If you don't quilt or embroider you don't have a clue what it costs is a fact!

Last edited by Bevsie; 04-04-2013 at 08:17 PM.