Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM

I just have to add that the two posts from solstice3 and tessagin about others taking credit for their work, and in tessagin's case actually expecting to make a financial profit as a middleman are examples of the most monumental chutzpah I have ever seen!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM

If it's family, I ask them to cover the costs (including thread). If it's for someone who want's one similar to my daughter's, I figure at least two times the cost. I also have the "policy" that I will not make two exactly the same. I only broke that rule when I made them for my grand-daughter's soccer team.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
I have found myself in these type of situations all ready and I have only been quilting less than two years!!!
I offered to make dgd a throw for her bed when they redecorated her bedroom, mom decided I should make the quilt a bedspread. Thought I'd make my niece a blue jean throw for HS graduation and something to take to college, DB decided I should make a quilt for her dorm bed...Made a couple of donations quilts for Quilts for Kids, DIL asked me to make a donation quilt for a extended family member on the other side(7 yr. old with CF) But they would like to give it to her on her bday in Aug...(can we say freebie bday present...) I did eventually tell her "No" as I would be there to present it and to get a picture of her and her quilt for my photo album, she was not to happy about that, but she had no real argument. URGGG!!! It almost pays to be a "closet" quilter...
Sad truths are...the blue jean quilt has been put aside as it was too heavy(as warned), donation quilt to Family member may end up as dog blanket or to cover the lawn mower.
Anyway, we love what we do..
Your comment about a dog quilt brought a different situation to mind. I made dog quilts for my two daughters' dogs. One daughter claimed it for herself. The other daughter told me her husband wouldn't let her put it in the dog's cage, because it was too good for the dog. (they use it for themselves, now).
Old 04-05-2013, 05:02 PM

I don't understand why some people are getting so condescending. Or the outrage at being asked whether or not we'll do something for them.
I've said, "No, but thanks for thinking I'm good enough to be asked!" I'll volunteer to teach or send them to youtube or a quilting shop or JoAnn's if the person lives close enough.
If they nag me enough, I have enough sarcastic responses build up in my repertoire that I really can't post on a quilting board.
I spoil family and friends with handmades, and anything after that is at my discretion. If I'm asked and it's not for a non- profit, I don't do it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM

OK here is one for you all: I made 5 or 6 quilts, one full size the rest wall quilts, and 15 or so hot pads for this gal I knew in Ak . . . ,fast forward, 8 years later she moved to ND, where we were living, and she lived 3 doors down from me, but was too busy to even have coffee with me for a year, Then as I was packing to move here to Ky, she came over and asked me to give her a quilt to remember me by, and I asked her why she couldn't remember me by all the quilts she already had that I made for her, , , , , her reply? "oh I gave those away as gifts" Needless to say she now has no quilt to remember me by, LOL
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE She is an artist and while she does beautiful work, she is mostly known locally. However, she does ask hefty prices for her artwork. It is as if she is the artist and what I do is just for play!
She will go on and on about the time and money she puts in her artwork and that she deserves to be compensated for it. I wonder if she has any idea of the time and money ($400) I put into making her quilt! I had to pay the long armer since I don't do that. I know she has to have some idea because of her own work, but for some reason, mine doesn't count......

The sister of my heart is an artist, she does fine art, and several years ago, I made a quilt, she liked it, but could not afford to buy it, She had just made some bronze art work and I loved them, but could not Afford to buy one,
($1200.) so we traded a quilt for bronze art work. I am so lucky, to have this special person as my friend, she values what I do, as I value what she does.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM

I tell people I don't sew for a living...just no time...sorry...but I hear Joanns has classes
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I make bow tuck bags or some close variation and everyone wants one until I tell them my price. Some will say yes, some no.....but I always make enough to feed my addiction....I figure if I can make a bag in 4 hours and make $30, I am doing pretty good for me!
Do you realize that at $30 per bag that's $7.50/hr? Less than minimum wage and not including the cost of fabric, other supplies (which lowers your per hour rate even further), talent and experience??? How about at least $60 per bag???

Jane

Jane
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM

Don't forget, if you don't like to say NO, there is always, "I'm afraid that won't be possible." Repeat as needed.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

A lot of people that do not sew or craft have no idea how much time goes into making things....I have found that if you price something more often than not they think it is too much to pay for it...I do not make things for others unless it is a family member or good friend...