Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM

I just responded to a similar question in another thread but wanted to share here too - over the years I have learned that being honest and direct seems to work the best. I try to express in the kindest way possible why I don't want to make anymore.

"I am so flattered that you liked my gift so much!! Unfortunately my time is limited so I cannot commit to making more. When I find the time I make them to give but I don't always have that time - but I will help you as best I can to make your own!" This is sort of my go to response.

If that doesn't do it I say, "I am so grateful to be appreciated for my sewing, but I limit my personal sewing to when I have the time to do it otherwise it's just no fun for me anymore. I do know a lady who makes these for hire..." or "...there's this website called Etsy, maybe someone would custom make one for you/you're friend/you're coworker/you're daughter?"
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 AM

Default You need to say this to her before it puts a bigger wedge between the two of you.

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I have a sister I love with all my heart! She is an artist and while she does beautiful work, she is mostly known locally. However, she does ask hefty prices for her artwork. I am not a huge fan of art you hang on the wall but a few years back I purchased one of her pieces at a showing and she gave me a family discount but it still cost me $500! The size is about 12" square. Now I only did this to be supportive of her and honestly, it was painful. Well.....she had been harassing me for some time about when was I gonna make her a quilt? She started saying it in front of others something like: "well she keeps promising me a quilt but I never see it!" then she lost most of her belongings in a house fire and I finally got around to making her the quilt. I gave it to her and I did intend it as a gift but to this day I have been upset buy the fact she just took it and said "thanks". It is as if she is the artist and what I do is just for play!
She will go on and on about the time and money she puts in her artwork and that she deserves to be compensated for it. I wonder if she has any idea of the time and money ($400) I put into making her quilt! I had to pay the long armer since I don't do that. I know she has to have some idea because of her own work, but for some reason, mine doesn't count...... Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, this has sooo bothered me!
You need to say this to her before it puts a bigger wedge between the two of you.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by kaylfordsollimo View Post
You need to say this to her before it puts a bigger wedge between the two of you.
Something tellls me that the Rtist-sister uses this tactic to get her way. Sure works, doesnt it? Telling her how she feels wont make a dent. Artist-sister is too self absorbed.

Sandy
Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 AM
Barbk

I'm the only one in my family that sews/quilts. Some friends rely on me too. I won't go into everything I've done for others or how they expect you to be at their beck & call. If it was something they could do themselves, like sewing a button on, I started saying, "when you have time, I'll show you how to do that". When asked to make something that is going to take a long, long time, I say, "I'll get to it when I have time, but somebody else needs to learn how to sew." My favorite is - "sorry, that's something I wouldn't even do for myself". I don't charge people, so it's my right to value my time like they value theirs. I still help others, but most have learned I'll do things as I have time.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
I tell people I don't sew for a living...just no time...sorry...but I hear Joanns has classes
I like that!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Yesterday really took the cake, I recently made a Michael Miller Fairy Panel with a matching cushion for a friends new grandaughter (I did send a post), yesterday she asked me if I would make FIVE more quilts for her other grandchildren also with matching cushions with their names cross stitched on the cushions as it seems unfair that only one grandchild has a quilt. I almost went into orbit, I politely, but with great control made my excuses but no doubt she will ask me again, other ladies present were horrified. She was not happy but neither was I at her request.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson View Post
Yesterday really took the cake, I recently made a Michael Miller Fairy Panel with a matching cushion for a friends new grandaughter (I did send a post), yesterday she asked me if I would make FIVE more quilts for her other grandchildren also with matching cushions with their names cross stitched on the cushions as it seems unfair that only one grandchild has a quilt. I almost went into orbit, I politely, but with great control made my excuses but no doubt she will ask me again, other ladies present were horrified. She was not happy but neither was I at her request.

Put a price on them. 15$ hour plus materials. That will take care of it. Sure had some nerve, didn't she??

Sandy