Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
And the converse of that would be that since you know that she cooks, surely you don't have to! Wonder how that would sit?

Jan in VA
Oh, Jan, I LOVE that answer! Wish I'd thought of it a few years ago, lol!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM

I worked with a woman, a doctor's wife, who knew I sewed. She got pregnant and I made her a quilt for her first child. She determined that, if I could quilt, I could mend and do alterations, and started bringing me her mending. I did the first batch, expecting that to be the end of it, and she wanted more, more, more. I was spending at least 50 percent of my free time doing her mending. So I gave her a machine and told her I would show her how. She kept trying to get me to do the mending and wanted her friends to also give me theirs, all for free. I gave her the names and numbers for several local paid alterations people. She invited me to parties and then told her friends that I was their sewing expert and gave good massages. She thought I should give massages during the party and sewing services later. I didn't, and stopped attending her parties.

These actions seemed to be normal in her culture, and no, I'd better not say which one that is. She took great delight in bragging how she and her husband, who could have easily afforded anything, manipulated merchants and others into selling an item for less than the merchant paid for it. When she invited me to her home for dinner, she then expected me to pay, to give her cash for the meal! She also wanted massages and many other services. At work, she expected me to cover for her when she took naps. Then she got pregnant again and wanted another quilt. She launched a massive manipulation campaign, involving herself and others, to get me to make it. This did not sit well with me. Never was there any offer of payment or even providing fabric, although she insisted on colors she wanted and wanted to pre-approve them. She insisted on coming to my home for lunch one day and brought her mending, after I told her not to, saying "This won't take you long." That was the end of that "friendship". She was a user whose greatest joy lay in manipulating others, and the harder they resisted, the better she liked it.

Now, if I am asked to do mending or sewing for someone and I don't want to, I just say that I have learned the hard way that it is not a good idea. I offer no further explanation.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Years ago when I was in the workforce a co-worker wanted me to make (knit) her a vest like I was wearing (I made all my vests). She wanted to know how much I would charge and I said $25.00 (back 20 years ago) and she told me that she could buy the same thing at a box store for $12.00 and I told her that she should go buy that one. She never asked me again about anything I wore that I hand made. Folks don't think about the time involved much less the yarn/fabric, etc. I quilt but don't sell any, they are gifted. People don't want to pay the price, so I make them and give them to family and friends or charity. Just my opinion!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 PM

If I don't want to do it, I don't bother pricing it. I just say, "I'm sorry. I enjoyed making this for you but I don't do these things for profit and I have too many other irons in the fire to do more." If I think I might at a later date, I'll say that, too. But I make no promiss.

I think it's okay of people to ask if you're willing to make another (or a dozen) of something you've given, but they should also understand if you say no. I've mentioned here before, I think, that I did this with my DIL who asked me to "help" her make a jewel case for her boss and then had the idea of mass producing the things (she doesn't sew so who do you think would be making them?) I made the one as a favor for her but had no interest in going into business and said so. (To think I used to be so non-assertive I couldn't say these things! I've come a long way! Maybe too far! )
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I worked with a woman, a doctor's wife, who knew I sewed. She got pregnant and I made her a quilt for her first child. She determined that, if I could quilt, I could mend and do alterations, and started bringing me her mending. I did the first batch, expecting that to be the end of it, and she wanted more, more, more. I was spending at least 50 percent of my free time doing her mending. So I gave her a machine and told her I would show her how. She kept trying to get me to do the mending and wanted her friends to also give me theirs, all for free. I gave her the names and numbers for several local paid alterations people. She invited me to parties and then told her friends that I was their sewing expert and gave good massages. She thought I should give massages during the party and sewing services later. I didn't, and stopped attending her parties.

These actions seemed to be normal in her culture, and no, I'd better not say which one that is. She took great delight in bragging how she and her husband, who could have easily afforded anything, manipulated merchants and others into selling an item for less than the merchant paid for it. When she invited me to her home for dinner, she then expected me to pay, to give her cash for the meal! She also wanted massages and many other services. At work, she expected me to cover for her when she took naps. Then she got pregnant again and wanted another quilt. She launched a massive manipulation campaign, involving herself and others, to get me to make it. This did not sit well with me. Never was there any offer of payment or even providing fabric, although she insisted on colors she wanted and wanted to pre-approve them. She insisted on coming to my home for lunch one day and brought her mending, after I told her not to, saying "This won't take you long." That was the end of that "friendship". She was a user whose greatest joy lay in manipulating others, and the harder they resisted, the better she liked it.

Now, if I am asked to do mending or sewing for someone and I don't want to, I just say that I have learned the hard way that it is not a good idea. I offer no further explanation.
My word! You were far more patient than I would have been, even in my most non-assertive days. I cannot abide users--and I've known a few--and I'd have told this woman to take a hike early on, assuming it didn't mean your job. If it did, I guess I'd have had to find another because I could not and would not have put up with her!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
let me tell this story, many many years ago when I was in high school most people didn't have much to do with me, this one girl spread rumors about me after school....fast forward 40 years I saw her at walmart and she hugged me like I was her long lost friend, in the conversation, what have you been up to, I mentioned quilting, she said oh I want a king size quilt, NOT my answer was I'll put her on the list.
What is that saying? You meet the same people on the way down that you met on the way up? She thoughtlessly forgot the hurt and damage she did to you years ago, or never thought of it again. I hope you made it abundantly clear she was whistling Dixie expecting a king size ....or any size....quilt from you.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Oh dear - it's harder to say no when it's your child. I made a retro-style apron for one daughter for christmas. As it was opened, the other daughter squealed "Oh, I want one too!". Her birthday was a couple of weeks ago and I presented her with her apron. Now she says her husband would be so thrilled to have one for his birthday too. Apparently I'm out of the quilt-making business and into making aprons now.
This thread really got my juices flowing apparently.

I admit I have no recourse against my children. If they want it, they usually get it. But one to a customer, even then. I try to avoid getting used anymore, even by those I love.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I have a sister I love with all my heart! She is an artist and while she does beautiful work, she is mostly known locally. However, she does ask hefty prices for her artwork. I am not a huge fan of art you hang on the wall but a few years back I purchased one of her pieces at a showing and she gave me a family discount but it still cost me $500! The size is about 12" square. Now I only did this to be supportive of her and honestly, it was painful. Well.....she had been harassing me for some time about when was I gonna make her a quilt? She started saying it in front of others something like: "well she keeps promising me a quilt but I never see it!" then she lost most of her belongings in a house fire and I finally got around to making her the quilt. I gave it to her and I did intend it as a gift but to this day I have been upset buy the fact she just took it and said "thanks". It is as if she is the artist and what I do is just for play!
She will go on and on about the time and money she puts in her artwork and that she deserves to be compensated for it. I wonder if she has any idea of the time and money ($400) I put into making her quilt! I had to pay the long armer since I don't do that. I know she has to have some idea because of her own work, but for some reason, mine doesn't count...... Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, this has sooo bothered me!
Well, not to add to the family strife, but you're right to be upset. She devalues your talent while elevating her own. But she's not alone; it's widespread, that idea that those who paint (and can sell their work) are "artists" while those who create art with needle and thread are crafters or hobbyists or, perhaps, "women who sew"!

At some point, if I were you, I'd find a gentle, non-confrontational way to let her know how I feel. Maybe you can tell her a story about "someone" who had a similar experience. Otherwise, it festers, I know.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM

I agree with everyone in regards to making things for others. I make things for people I really care about or for charity but I don't make things for others to make money. They can't afford to pay what I would want to make it. It takes all the fun out of it. I did this for many years with counted cross stitch and decided never again when I started quilting. I want to enjoy my hobby and have fun and do things to give away to someone who will appreciated it and never know who was kind enough to do it for someone else. Just my opinion. If I wanted a job I could go to work and make more money - not interested in making money.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM

I say "sorry, I only make things for myself, friends, and family. I don't sell my handcrafts." I made some hot and cold ice bags as holiday gifts for work mates and a lady posted to my blog she wanted to buy some in animals shapes for children. I said, "great idea, but sorry not in the business." I think that would suck the joy out of it for me. I have a arm's length worth of project to do and no time, for things I'm not interested in.