Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Anyone ever get this request? You give a handmade gift to someone and they ask for another one for a friend??
It happened to me at Christmas but the second purse was for her daughter. But she insisted in buying it so I quoted a price and she agreed. Now she has friends who also want a purse like hers. I told her that I "might" have time to make some for her to show. the price will go up some. too much stress!

Another buddy makes those twirly crocheted scarves and she gave one to a mutual friend who asked for a second one in another color. Hmmm.

How do you handle this situation?
Sandy
It's really very simple. If you want to do it and make money at it, figure your price and give the quote. They will either say yes or no. If you don't want to do it, just say no, I don't want to do it. I don't understand why everyone frets over this, no one is forcing you to do something you don't want to do......
Old 04-03-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I learned my lesson making sock monkeys. Everyone wanted one. Now I just laugh when asked to make another anything and say you were lucky to get the first one.
Good answer!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

I posted on Facebook, after attending the last quilt show here in Corpus Christi and getting back into quilting after many years absence my desire and enthusiasm. I received a lot of requests for orders for quilts. I stated that it had been a long time and would prefer they contact the various quilt shops and local guild for their orders. One lady stated she would give me $75.00 for a queen size. I told her it would be closer to 10 x the price and I'm not a professional. I don't do it for a living. I deal with deadlines everyday and quilting is not going to be (for me) attached to a deadline, although I am working on one for my granddaughter's graduation in June.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Most people don't have a clue about what goes into making a 'homemade' item. I just tell people that once I made an item, I don't want to make another just like it..... I have more things I want to make than I have a lifetime to do.... They've always accepted that answer.
This is the perfect, truthful response to any of us in the future. Its nice to know your gift was so fully embraced but it doesn't mean you're anxious to made another similar one.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I make bow tuck bags or some close variation and everyone wants one until I tell them my price. Some will say yes, some no.....but I always make enough to feed my addiction....I figure if I can make a bag in 4 hours and make $30, I am doing pretty good for me!
$30 wouldn't cover my time for 4 hours. We need a place to put photos of just bags. I love the bowtucks and all the others. I don't find bags easy to make. I have made a few.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM

I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that YEARS AGO, it really WAS cheaper to make your own (whatever thing). That's not the case anymore because of globalization of manufacturing, cheap labor, and inflation of the price of EVERYTHING. I think many people (including myself until just recently starting this hobby) still hold on to that mentality and just don't have a clue of the effects on the industry of "home made" goods.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 AM

I have a sister I love with all my heart! She is an artist and while she does beautiful work, she is mostly known locally. However, she does ask hefty prices for her artwork. I am not a huge fan of art you hang on the wall but a few years back I purchased one of her pieces at a showing and she gave me a family discount but it still cost me $500! The size is about 12" square. Now I only did this to be supportive of her and honestly, it was painful. Well.....she had been harassing me for some time about when was I gonna make her a quilt? She started saying it in front of others something like: "well she keeps promising me a quilt but I never see it!" then she lost most of her belongings in a house fire and I finally got around to making her the quilt. I gave it to her and I did intend it as a gift but to this day I have been upset buy the fact she just took it and said "thanks". It is as if she is the artist and what I do is just for play!
She will go on and on about the time and money she puts in her artwork and that she deserves to be compensated for it. I wonder if she has any idea of the time and money ($400) I put into making her quilt! I had to pay the long armer since I don't do that. I know she has to have some idea because of her own work, but for some reason, mine doesn't count...... Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, this has sooo bothered me!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
How do you handle when people "hint" that they wished they could sew, but since they know you, they don't need to. Have a friend who is going to a wedding and that she wishes she could find the exact dress she envisions, but knows it will be impossible to find. She has hinted several times that she knows it would be so easy for an experienced seamstress to make. I ain't sayin'' nuttin'! I ain't offerin' !!!

You are a very smart lady. I've been learning to do this myself lately. Not easy but I'm persisting.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 AM

Learn to say NO. I do not like making the same thing twice, either.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 AM

Default "No one has enough money to buy these."

Yes, I get those requests all the time. I tell people that I am happy they like the gift but that I only give my work away - no one has enough money to buy them. I generally will offer to teach them how to make one if they go and get the materials and that offer generally causes them to quickly change the subject!!