Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for my gift!  Would you make me another ?? >

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Thank you for my gift! Would you make me another ??

Old 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM

If it is something I don't want to do, I just smile, say thanks, and then say no. We are allowed to say no in this life and the world doesn't end.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM

I don't begin to understand people who think it's perfectly acceptable to hint that they want you to make them a wedding dress. Holy Moly! That's a ton of work and, frequently, drama. I paid $300 for all my silk taffeta back in 1983. I then paid a seamstress who did nothing but high end sewing another $300 for her to make my skirt and blouse from the pattern, using some hand made lace I'd carried around for YEARS to decorate color and cuffs and yoke of blouse.

That fabric isn't easy to sew, (I've never seen wedding dresses made out of easy stuff, unless they went rustic and made it from cotton!) and making that kind of thing is a really hard job to do nicely. That's an awful lot of nerve to ask somebody to do that for you as a friend, especially when they aren't falling all over themselves to offer you lots of money for your labor!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
Oh dear - it's harder to say no when it's your child. I made a retro-style apron for one daughter for christmas. As it was opened, the other daughter squealed "Oh, I want one too!". Her birthday was a couple of weeks ago and I presented her with her apron. Now she says her husband would be so thrilled to have one for his birthday too. Apparently I'm out of the quilt-making business and into making aprons now.
LOL I just had to laugh out loud at "Apparently I'm out of the quilt-making business and into making aprons now" I just made 2 sun matching dresses (turned out cute), one adult and one child size 5 for a gift...now I was asked to make 2 more for twins. Guess we must be good at other things besides making quilts!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM

I make things for my sister + family as she keeps sending me fabric, Marimekko mostly , all the time, and even she insists on paying me for my work.Her collegues also place orders after my sister has shown her newly acquired items. Therefore I have made a price list on items I have made or plan to make,they can take it or leave it. I keep it reasonable for them and profitable for myself .This way I can make a few extra Euros yet not get too stressed about it. My sis of course gets special "family prices".
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM

I sew and crochet lots of stuff that I wear and what irks me more than having someone ask me to make one for them is when they say "You can just show me how to do it so I can have a fun hobby too!" Sorry, but not my idea of quality time with a friend. That's usually a lot worse than just making it for them since most people have no idea how much work these things take and how many years of experience it has taken me to be able to whip stuff out. So, no thanks. I like you and I want to continue to like you. And vice versa.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM

That's a great reply, BellaBoo. I must remember that one.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM

I find that all I have to do is say I have many projects on my plate, but if you would like to learn I can teach you. Here are the supplies you need, once you get them pick a date...and there solves my problem...very rarely will someone take me up on that...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 AM

If you have no desire to "make another one". just say NO. Quote a ridiculously high amount, they may fool you and say OK. Then you are stuck. If you need to, there are all kinds of excuses you could make. Someone wanted me to make her a purse like the one I made for my daughter, I quoted $300. Conversation stopped.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 AM

I was talking to a professional pattern designer who will happily make samples for shops. She quoted an example of $15.00 /hour labor up front. I really was impressed with how easily she quoted her hourly rate without needing to justifying her price. We all have a price in mind and we need to put a value on it. I admired her professionalism in handling requests.

Sandy
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I learned my lesson making sock monkeys. Everyone wanted one. Now I just laugh when asked to make another anything and say you were lucky to get the first one.
I had to chuckle when I read your post. This made me think of my brother- He ask for a buffalo quilt, so I searched everywhere for fab. with a buffalo. I thought I would have to attempt to create my own, but I found just the right fab. from "Best Kept Secrets", panels with buffalos. Well I made him a king size reversible quilt. After he had the quilt for several months I mentioned that I was making a particular quilt, then silly brother he is, he asked when I was going to make him a quilt he could use! I informed him I had already made him a quilt, and what did he think it was for if not to use, his reply"Yes, but I want one to use, that one is for display only". My reply"just be glad you got one, you are now on the bottom of the list". He still asks for another quilt, and I just keep telling him when everyone else gets one, he may get another. lol.