Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thanksgiving Virtual Quilting Weekend >

Thanksgiving Virtual Quilting Weekend

Thanksgiving Virtual Quilting Weekend

Old 11-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Battleaxe, I am absolutely floored by your willingness to repeat things into perfection!

I updated the original thread with the Cherry Goose top here:
Needing Help Finding A Quilt Pattern

Now that I took the process photos I can get back to finishing the blocks, it's all pretty speedy from here on out. And unlike Battleaxe's lovely workmanship let's not look too closely at those triangle points on mine. I am not happy with my workmanship but then again, I changed machines midway and it always takes a bit to adjust. One of my quilting superstitions is I like to do all my sewing on one machine.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:21 AM

So far, my weekend has started off a little late, lol. I would normally have the turkey in by around 10am, I didn't get it in until almost 11:30am. Pies and rolls were baked between 2-5am, so working on very little sleep but well worth it. It's just me and the fiance, family stayed put this year.

My quilting weekend started off with a bang, however. Last night, with a couple of gift cards, I ordered various sized leather needles, some rubber finger grips and a couple of copper thimbles because I have long nails for the tie-off of my other quilt top, which will be next weekend. Tomorrow, I order the batting and the 6th, I'm going to get my sewing machine, it's finally done! I'm so excited for next weekend.

This weekend though, I'm working on my 2" hexies quilt. This one is going to be kind of a work as I go, this is the last of my stash and even though I've got a lot of all the fabric I used, I don't have enough for a full queen sized quilt yet. The next time I'm in town (town is an hour away), I'm going to buy more fabric. At least it's a start.

I'll be in and out today to check-in, tomorrow though I've already designated as 'I cooked Thanksgiving dinner, this is MY day, I'm quilting, leave me alone' day, lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620320[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf2564-800x600-.jpg  
Old 11-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Thanks Raggiemom for hosting...I am still in California and have been since November 2nd (3k miles from my sewing room) but I did bring a hand project to work on. My DH and I are cooking a turkey dinner and some trimmings at the house we are staying in. We will have my mom, sister and BIL to share Thanksgiving dinner.

Krisb, I have purchased most of my colors but I am also waiting for background fabric fothe Sugaridoo QAL.

GingerK, sounds like a good reason to get your sewing room back in shape.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow quilters.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:26 AM

Ice Blossom, I have the same superstition you have about starting and finishing projects on the same machine.

Hence why I have several UFO's that will have to be taken apart completely and re-sewn with the machine I have now. They were JoAnn Fabrics BOM's. And were started on my trusty Kenmore. When it died all of sudden and couldn't be fixed, those projects came to a grinding halt. Those are on my todo list for next year. It definitely gives new meaning to at least finish the quilt tops in their entirety. (One at a time.)

I am working on my Pat Sloan, Winter Fun QAL quilt top. I want to get the sashing strips sewn to most of the rest of the quilt. I am still waiting for the last block to come out. But, I can finish a lot while I'm waiting. I also need to fish out the next project to work on. I'm not sure if it will be a UFO or a new make. Loads of both of those on the list. I am thinking about treating myself to a new make. I just finished the border treatments on 5 old UFO's. (UFO's are born when I get to the outer borders. Ugh, really bad habit. I think I have 4 others still waiting on borders.)

Happy Thanksgiving. My DH and DS and I are having ours on the 14th of Dec. They are both out of town on business. The day doesn't matter. Spending time with family and being grateful for what we have does.

Bonus, I get a great sew weekend to myself. Now, I need to get going and take advantage of it. See you ladies later.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:40 PM

No need for the quilt inspectors today. I"ve made some boo-boos too. Dad taught jet engine mechanics in WWII and tried to instill in us getting it right and such. So when I make a mistake I honor Dad by saying that " we're not building jet engines today".

And to honor all you great cooks out there that made a stuffed turkey or ham with pineapple...Yum.

I've run into another wall with this. The instructions say to complete the border as it were a frame, then see if your quilt top fits or not into the cavity. I think there are 220 strips that have to be made and then sliced and sewn back together. There is only one way of sewing to do it right so that it comes out twinned. It's a challenge for me.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Yes, I definitely have things to work on. And hopefully my husband isn’t planning on some kind of road trip.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:20 PM

Well, I got my borders on most of the quilt. Now to cut the plaid I'm using for the final border. I can put it on two sides. I will post a photo as soon as I'm able to get things to upload to my account. My internet is moving at snail pace.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:28 PM

I've got two tops quilted and going to get a start on the third.

I recently finished up the 100 blocks for my crazy quilt. I started it on my old viking 990, then moved to the Pfaff embroidery machine that I bought used. Then switched to the Babylock Destiny when I got that, and finished it up with the Babylock Solaris that I traded the Destiny in on. I also used the Juki 2010 for straight stitching, and ended with the Juki 8700. it will be quilted on the HQ.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:36 PM

It's not Thanksgiving here in Canada, but I'd like to join in anyway. No big dinners to cook since we had our turkey a few weeks ago. I'm still working on the Cat Quilt for my brother and SIL's granddaughter. In a perfect world, I'll have it done this weekend... I'm a little doubtful I'll be able to get it completely done by then, but it was a self-imposed deadline. I have to ship the two quilts to Newfoundland so I was hoping to get them to UPS early next week. We'll see how it all goes.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Battle Axe I absolutely love that border, but it is so far over my skill set!
Jane that quilt top looks awesome. I love dimensional quilts and that looks like it will look great when you're done!
Iceblossom I like the option #1, or #2 and a second choice. I like the flow of having the geese units all facing the same way, and I really like the play of colour with the red geese and the blacks and whites of the other fabrics.
Railroader's Brat neat hexies. My first quilt had a center of hexies completed on my embroidery machine. They are fun to sew together and yours look really neat.