Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there any reason I shouldn't... >

Is there any reason I shouldn't...

Is there any reason I shouldn't...

Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM

Go for it!I have done this in the past with treat success and the back looks great too!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Ok, thanks everyone for your help. A special thanks to Dunster for the link which was great, and a special thanks to "Love to Sew". I went and checked out your quilt and it is great. I forgot to mention that I do not have a long arm. I am trying to do this on my domestic machine. You guys have inspired me so I am off to the sewing room to give it a try. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM

It is much easier . Recently we were doing an heirloom quilt in blocks. The instructions had us doing Trapunto and applique pieces on the block. The final instructions were to grid the background in 1/2inch squares and another section in1/4 inch squares but not same direction. This grid was terrible as you had to plan ech line and Line up over applique area. It was much easier when we changed it and gridded background first.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 AM

I had good intentions but, all my applique pieces began falling off. I repressed, but decided to go ahead and stitch them all down before I machine quilt. Oh well, I have a new idea for the next quilt. I will try again to post a picture when I finish.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM

The only drawback that I can see is scrunching the quilt up it's bound to mess up the applique before you have a chance to quilt it down. Also, the idea to do the overall quilting first is a really great idea. The class I'm taking now has us doing one block at a time backed with battilizer. We start with a 14" square, do an overall grid and then position the raw edge applique and use decorative stitches which goes through the top and the battilizer to attach the applique. It's nice to not have to worry about starting and stopping the quilting grid. We use paper backed fusible. If I have several layers, like in a flower, I will use the technique taught by Fons and Porter. (Which entails cutting the bulk of the fusible out and leaving a rough quarter inch around the edge of the applique.) After all the applique is done, I then trim down to 12 1/2" square. When it comes time to sew all the blocks together, I think I will not use batting since I will have all that battilizer in it. In that case, I will just quilt on the sashing.

Would love to see a picture when you are done.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

[QUOTE=dunster;5789000]One of my guild members showed us a quilt done this way at our last meeting. She is a very talented professional longarmer. If I understood the process - first she did an all-over on the pieced quilt, which was rectangles of neutral tones, then she laid down her applique pieces (fused to a very lightweight fusible) and stitched around them, then clipped the edges. Here's her blog showing the quilt and explaining the process - and I took the picture!

Thankyou Dunster for the link to Jean Daniels site..I have bookmarked it as it looks very interesting and will go back and look at more of her work,