Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a color you hate?

Blog Entries
    I won't wear yellow or orange tones, to include a red with orange tones...but I do see their place in quilting or crafting...and I've seen so many works (of art) here on the board that I totally love that include them...

Until recently I have always avoided yellow. My mother's favorite color was yellow and she went overboard with it and I got to the point I couldn't stand the color. I have been trying to incorporate small amounts of yellow in my projects. Still not my favorite color.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I love all of the colors but the one color I tend to purposely leave out of my quilts is.......White. I dont know why but I have never been a fan of white.

Billy
    same here. It reminds me of a funeral or hospital. I use it only as accent colors.

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Dislike grayed, dull colors-love bright true colors. Greens are my favorite but moving into turquoise/teal. Have little blues, reds, & tone-on-tones so building those up. My likes/dislikes change-hated orange, now like with limited use. And I am a purple lady.

Reading all these responses brought to mind that old song, "All God's Children Got a Place in the Choir." It's my opinion that "All God's Colors...."

RDM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffinGin
    Reading all these responses brought to mind that old song, "All God's Children Got a Place in the Choir." It's my opinion that "All God's Colors...."
    Totally agree-thanks for saying it so well.

I like all colors, in fabric, not in what I wear. But I think that just about every color can turn into something beautiful.

There is such a thing as color therapy. Which is why hospitals usually use a very light green paint, it's supposed to be soothing. Red cars are usually mean hot and fast. Black for mourning. So these colors that make people want to hurt people, LOL, there must be a reason deep instide that makes them crazy about these colors.

BTW anyone who wears black to my funeral will be thrown out! LOL

Yes, PINK! I can pass on other colors but will not touch PINK! that is weird.

Brown. I don't hate it but it's my least favorite. Don't use much except for tree trunks & such

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraSewing
    ORANGE! Double Yuck!
    This reminds me of a funny story;
    My oldest grandson's favorite color was orange, everything had to be orange. So, I made a quilt for him with orange as the focus color. Because his father (my son) has 3 kids, I am waiting until I have all three quilts finished before taking them to the grandkids. The 3rd quilt is 99% finished.

Recently, when visiting them, I discovered that oldest grandson's favorite color is now RED. I said, "I thought your favorite color was orange." Then my 6-year-old granddaughter said, "Things change" very matter-of-factly.

I hope he hasn't decided he hates orange.
    :|

Wow, this thread is so interesting. I don't think I have a "hated" color. They are all in nature and I love fabrics with colors that just display all the variations of color.
    Simply put, I love any color.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    I like all colors, in fabric, not in what I wear. But I think that just about every color can turn into something beautiful.

There is such a thing as color therapy. Which is why hospitals usually use a very light green paint, it's supposed to be soothing. Red cars are usually mean hot and fast. Black for mourning. So these colors that make people want to hurt people, LOL, there must be a reason deep instide that makes them crazy about these colors.

BTW anyone who wears black to my funeral will be thrown out! LOL

I wonder if different countries have different associations for color?

Is it in China that the bride wears red? and white is for death?

Chartreuse(sp). Don't really hate it but prefer not to use it in anything.

This has been an interesting thread. I just finished a 3 day local shop hop with a friend who is just starting to quilt and build a stash and we had the color discussion lol. If I needed to find her she was either in the pastels or brights. I could be found in jewel tones, Orientals or fall colors lol. We decided if I need a pastel or bright I shop her stash and if she needed a jewel tone or fall color she would shop mine. :-) My Orientals are off limits! :twisted:

There seems to be a lack of yellow and pink in my stash so I guess I am not as fond of those colors. I did see a shade of green in a line while shopping that made me want to run screaming from the building! :shock: I love green but this was horrid!

How about lime green?

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt with pink and lime green. It was really cute.

Isn't it funny, I am drawn to fall colors and orientals. Maybe there is a mindset to that.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE PURPLE. Sent them my way.

I don't like what I call diahria gold. Just gives me the shudders to look at it. (The color of Symba in the Lion King).

I'm a self-employed cake decorator and I hate that color..

I love orange but loathe lime...

I don't like Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by sewsweet2
    I LOVE PURPLE. Sent them my way.

I don't like what I call diahria gold. Just gives me the shudders to look at it. (The color of Symba in the Lion King).

I'm a self-employed cake decorator and I hate that color..
    LOL, is diarrhea gold what baby poop green turns into when it grows up?

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

I don't like grey or peach or that 80s light green. Probably the reason for the grey and peach is that I look like a corpse in them. And if I wear some greens my skin looks like it matches, very attractive. Someone said that they didn't like the peach and green combo because it was boring, a very large ditto from me on that. Love pinks, purples, red, magenta, true violet, fuschia and just about every shade of blue (except that 80s dusty blue). Plus browns, especially with reds and pinks with tans. Of course I look good in those colors, probably why I favor them. One of the girls in our guild said she could always spot my quilts because I tend to put red in them. I've thought about it and usually I do, unless it's a color theme that doesn't include red.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Here is an effective use of orange:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-64245-1.htm#1572708

Now, back to what you don't like - - -
    See, orange can be used tastefully. :lol:

There are some colors that I always gravitate toward, but none I "hate".My fabric stash is a rainbow of colors. :D

I hate pastels. There's no way I could make a whole quilt using just pastels. Not very fond of pink. Hot pink I like, but not like the really light girly kind of pink. If I did end up working with the girly pink it'd probably have to be paired up with something real dark like chocolate or black. Also not a fan of the primary color scheme...red, yellow, and blue look really horrible and garish together I think.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast