Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is There a Hand Cream for Quilters? >

Is There a Hand Cream for Quilters?

Is There a Hand Cream for Quilters?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 AM

I had exzema so bad in my 20's my hands bled and it looked like I was burned. I had it for years straight with no break or relief. Lotions did nothing for me. I went to a natural path doctor, desperate to try anything, and was prescribed to take 1 TBL "Cold Pressed" Safflower Oil (found in health food stores) and vitamin B vitamins. This was not a quick fix, I didn't even notice a difference for 3 weeks, but after any improvement at all, I kept doing it. Three months later, I had healing! One year later, I was amazingly cleared up and felt it was under control and it has been ever since. I used the oil trick off and on for years, but haven't used it now for about 10 years. I still break out with stress even now, but just little patches and I can clear it up on my own. I know how miserable this stuff is and I don't know if my cure would work for everyone, but it sure did the trick for me. I was told my skin needed oil/moisture mixed with the vitamin back then. For lotion, I used a First Aid Cream with Aloe Vera as the first ingredient. I wish healing and health to you and everyone.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 AM

I swear by Glycerodermine dermatological skin cream, it's fantastic for very dry rough and chapped skin. I use it on my hands, elbows and feet. I've tried many brands but believe me, that one is worth a try
Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM

Corn Husker's Lotion. A hairdresser hooked my on to it - her hands were ALWAYS wet from washing hair - and it is amazing. You can find in most drugstores, usually on a low shelf, because the bottle isn't so pretty. The label is yellow and green, I think, the lotion is clear. It is thick and the first time I put it on, it felt strange, but I swear by it. My fingers used to crack at the tips and this truly helps. Just run in a small bit until it disappears and there is not a bit of greasy residue or greasy feeling.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 AM

My LQS carries Camille Beckman's hand cream. It's more waxy than not slippery. Lots of different fragrances. A bit pricier than other hand lotions or creams, but feels very nice.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Debka
Corn Husker's Lotion. A hairdresser hooked my on to it - her hands were ALWAYS wet from washing hair - and it is amazing. You can find in most drugstores, usually on a low shelf, because the bottle isn't so pretty. The label is yellow and green, I think, the lotion is clear. It is thick and the first time I put it on, it felt strange, but I swear by it. My fingers used to crack at the tips and this truly helps. Just run in a small bit until it disappears and there is not a bit of greasy residue or greasy feeling.
Corn Husker's never worked for me, but I have tried many of the others mentioned here.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Can you please tell us where you purchase this.
I use Glysolid glycerin cream and have a diffucult time finding this product. This works to keep my fingers from breaking open and that really hurts, I use it on my feet and elbows also.
Thanks for any info .
Old 12-31-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by bourvel
I swear by Glycerodermine dermatological skin cream, it's fantastic for very dry rough and chapped skin. I use it on my hands, elbows and feet. I've tried many brands but believe me, that one is worth a try
This is the product I wanted information on where you purchase it. When I asked before it showed up in a different spot. I just need to learn how and where to post my questions.
Thank you
Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 PM

I have bought Corn Husker's Lotion in places like CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Also try a Diabetic hand cream because it is thick and is very good for dry cracked hands and skin. You may want to try Keri lotion I had to use it when I had a reaction to a medication.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 PM

I have severe sensitivities to most all personal care products but I have found " California Baby" super sensitive lotion works for me now and it does not leave your hands greasy. I use it on my face, also.