Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a reason to do this? >

Is there a reason to do this?

Is there a reason to do this?

Old 09-26-2019, 05:22 AM

I press or "set" the seam first. Then unfold and press to the dark if possible. Look at the fabric and stitches before pressing and then after pressing. Of course, after pressing, you will see a flatter fabric and flatter seam line.

The same happens when stitching borders. On a side note, I stay stitch and then press again all borders that are added to quilts.

https://www.quiltingcompany.com/8-ti...ms-quilt-tops/
Old 09-26-2019, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the link Rhonda K. And thanks to everyone for your comments. Like I said, I do pre-press but really didn't know if it did anything. I guess it does although I don't see a lot of difference. I don't use polyester thread so the melting part isn't an issue. Again, thanks, everyone.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:47 AM

I think setting your seams will correct any small tension problems in your seams by warming and loosening the fibres in the cotton and also allowing the thread to sink in a bit.
I always set my seams, then finger press over before pressing over with the iron.

Watson
Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 AM

Sometimes I set the seam and sometimes I don't. Just depends on how much I care about the finished quilt top. I do find that I don't have those little puckers when I do the first seam set and then press the right way. I use a 50 wt cotton thread to piece and don't really see much seam loss. I almost always sew a scant 1/4 inch seam anyway, unless the block is one that has all the same block pieces each way....4 patch, 9 patch or 16 patch and that is all that will be in the quilt. In this case it doesn't matter. All blocks will be the same size. If you are mixing these blocks with others that have multiple seams then the blocks have to match. That's when I really look at finished sizes.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:00 AM

I have only pre-press one time and did not like it so I have gone to pressing the standard way lite to darker down. I do not press open either but am watchful so that the pieces lay flat.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I think setting your seams will correct any small tension problems in your seams by warming and loosening the fibres in the cotton and also allowing the thread to sink in a bit.
I always set my seams, then finger press over before pressing over with the iron.

Watson
That's the reasoning I recall as well. I tend to pre press because (I think) when I don't my seams aren't as consistently flat and laying nicely. Meh, like every sewing thing personal preferences and experiences play into it, right?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:23 AM

I've done both and find I like it better when I pre-press. However, if you have to rip out a seam, it comes out much easier if you do it before any pressing!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
My understanding is that it is as Bobbinalong said.....to settle the thread into the fabric. I don't know whether it is strictly necessary or not but I always do it...mostly out of habit because I was taught to do it.
I'm the same. I started doing it with garments and at this point, its automatic so I still do it whether I'm making a garment or a quilt.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I've seen people pre-press their seams before pressing them to the dark fabric or whatever way they press them.

Is there a reason for pre-pressing? I do it because I've seen people doing it on quilting shows but I really don't know why.
I do it because it helps the seams lay extra flat and sets the thread, so to speak. Things just seem to go together better. But hey, I say do whatever method gives you the results you want.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:10 PM

I do the "setting of the seams" too. I learned to quilt in late 70's and early 80's and was told to do it. And it just made sense to me and as the block/quilt goes together it keeps it ironed so looks more appealing to me.
Everyone has to do what they feel like doing or else you won't enjoy the process.