Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there something really wrong with my quilt??? >

Is there something really wrong with my quilt???

Is there something really wrong with my quilt???

Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 AM

I think if you'd suggested she take it to an Alterations shop, they would have repaired it and not made a comment. Quilts shops aren't the place to go if you need repairs. Most shops don't have any "experts" on staff, just a bunch of people that think they know it because they work there. My experience - I've got more actual sewing time in than they do.

I've been in a quilt shop when someone has brought in a quilt that someone else made with questions, and the shop people have been super critical of the quilting and suggested it all be taken out and they would redo it with an allover computerized design. So of course the redo would look near perfect because a machine is doing it (I have an LA with a computer so that is not a critical remark).

I've seen the exact same shop people gush over a quilt a customer has made themselves and done their own quilting, that had much worse work done, but they aren't going to tell someone that buys their fabric from them that they are a poor quilter.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:54 AM

I agree with those who say it is a beautiful quilt. I think the only thing you could have done better would be to get all those loose threads off. I just snip mine. This is not a quilt for a major quilt show. So what's the difference if the corner is not quite square. I "almost" never hand sew the corners of the binding. I've done it twice. The second time my quilt got a blue ribbon and the judge commented that I had done that. But it surely is not necessary in my book.

I agree that the shop may have their underwear in a knot because they were not paid to do the quilting. A kind person would have told you "kindly" how to improve a few things.

You are a beautiful person. I can tell by the way you are answering all these comments. Best wishes to you.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:58 AM
anonymous

I am not going to comment on the quilting or piecing of the quilt as I am still too much of a newbie. I just want to say that I really like the quilt and the pics of the whole quilt are beautiful. Kudos to you for taking on a challenging pattern and fabrics. I hope you feel like you have gained from the experience. I feel like the other quilt shop should get a little "shame on you" for not giving specifics and letting your client feel like there is a structural problem. If I were you I would contact the other shop and find out exactly what they were talking about so you can address the issues if need be and help your customer feel the quilt will stand the test of time. I hope if you don't benefit financially from this quilt you will have gained knowledge to use in your future quilting endeavors, so all is not lost. Good luck to you.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think if you'd suggested she take it to an Alterations shop, they would have repaired it and not made a comment. Quilts shops aren't the place to go if you need repairs. Most shops don't have any "experts" on staff, just a bunch of people that think they know it because they work there. My experience - I've got more actual sewing time in than they do.

I've been in a quilt shop when someone has brought in a quilt that someone else made with questions, and the shop people have been super critical of the quilting and suggested it all be taken out and they would redo it with an allover computerized design. So of course the redo would look near perfect because a machine is doing it (I have an LA with a computer so that is not a critical remark).

I've seen the exact same shop people gush over a quilt a customer has made themselves and done their own quilting, that had much worse work done, but they aren't going to tell someone that buys their fabric from them that they are a poor quilter.
Wow, this is so enlightening that I have taken a screen shot of your comment and sent it to my customer. Thank you so much for posting this.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I agree with those who say it is a beautiful quilt. I think the only thing you could have done better would be to get all those loose threads off. I just snip mine. This is not a quilt for a major quilt show. So what's the difference if the corner is not quite square. I "almost" never hand sew the corners of the binding. I've done it twice. The second time my quilt got a blue ribbon and the judge commented that I had done that. But it surely is not necessary in my book.

I agree that the shop may have their underwear in a knot because they were not paid to do the quilting. A kind person would have told you "kindly" how to improve a few things.

You are a beautiful person. I can tell by the way you are answering all these comments. Best wishes to you.
Thank you Mavita. You are so kind!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:01 AM

Good pattern for that variety of fabrics! Did you machine applique those orange peels down? I think I would have done s motif or something inside those fabrics, rather than just outline the circles of the peels..that would make that area more secure jmho.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I'm the last person to give advice on machine quilting but I can't believe someone said it's going to fall apart. Give me a break!
I hope you find a solution on this.
It's a lovely quilt!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Good pattern for that variety of fabrics! Did you machine applique those orange peels down? I think I would have done s motif or something inside those fabrics, rather than just outline the circles of the peels..that would make that area more secure jmho.
I'm flattered that you think it's orange peel applique, because the "petal" shape are two half pieced together. So it seem I did a nice alignement job to create the illusion of an applique :-) I get your point about the quilting. I'll thought about it.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 AM

I love your quilt, it’s really very pretty. I personally think that quilt store was out of line and wants your customer to bring their quilts in to them. Shame on them!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:27 AM

I'm sorry this happened to you. You attempted to provide an affordable product to a client at a "Walmart" price. You ended up accidentally getting it evaluated on a "Lord and Taylor" standard. It's not fair. The quilt shop seems to have been "snarky", to say the least.

First, stop trying to defend yourself. Don't send her any more emails - none. Stop it right now and go into "stop the bleeding mode". All you want at this point is to get out of the trap with the least amount of damage to you. Forget about the cheese. There isn't any. It's going to cost you. You lost money on this deal and learned some very costly lessons.

Send the registered letter with what you are willing to do carefully outlined. You might have someone edit it carefully so that it says exactly what you want to say and no more. Do this immediately. Then, don't say or do anything else. (Don't engage with the quilt shop until this is over and done.) The ball is then in her court. Wait to see what happens. (Remember, no more emails.) Then do exactly what you said you would do as quickly as you can and be done with it.

I recently retired from running a small business that depended on the internet for clients. You can't win this. The best you can hope for is a draw.

If you need help with the letter, PM me.

By the way, it's a pretty quilt.

bkay