Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
These Geese Won't Fly! >

These Geese Won't Fly!

These Geese Won't Fly!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM

I didn't know it was 'The Ricky Timms' method. I thought I was efficiently using up scraps to make my flying geese. Good to know! It is fast and efficient, then I simply trim to size and they are perfect every time. As I sew geese according to my available scraps, I do sometimes simply sew over sized triangles together and then trim to size. I've never been able to sew either flying geese or half square triangles using triangles that were cut to the 'right' size. I've always had to go a little over size and then trim them--but now I can do them MY way and they are done right every time. Maybe Ricky Timms learned that from me????? jus' sayin'

Grammahunt
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM

I had the same problem until I broke down and got El's mini geese ruler set http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ay.asp?i=14311 and agree with lisa's comment about specialty rulers I tried all the other methods and failed even ricky tims way but I didn't care for the pocket/pouch effect of the geese block El's geese rulers only way I can do them with out stressing myself out, as I could never figure out what I was doing wrong wing clipper looks like it would good also but already have all sizes of El's flying geese rulers I purchased with joanns 50% off coupons
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM

I used the "fast 45" method which makes one unit when I made my River Trees avatar quilt. A little waste but sharp points every time.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t230754.html
http://www.quiltviews.com/river-tree-the-quilt

Then I used the method that makes 4 at a time for a Northern Journey quilt. No waste!
http://www.northcott.net/images/quil...20pattern1.pdf

Both worked well for me. I avoided making them before I found these methods because I had the same problem you seem to be having...they always stretched. Ugh! Now they're easy.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM

I always mark the center where I am going to sew. and then when you sew ,sew a sew line from the marked line on the side that is going to be cut if I do this it works great.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Are u cutting triangles for the edges....I prefer cutting a rectangle...say 3 x6 then two squares 3x3. Lay one square on top of rec at corner..sew diagonal from point of square to point, actually a thread to the outside edge...... Fold over, iron,cut the square tail, but leave the rec back ther...that is your true size..
This is what I do when I want them each different. However I do trim the underside after sewing each square to the rectangle so I have less to quilt through. I have my routine so that I always start at the sameend of the FG so they look more uniform.
Most of the other methods end up with the FG all being the same.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
El Burns is my method and I have no problems with them.
Same with me. I tired various methods but when you use EB method, you can actually check to make sure you stitching is correct before you trim. If you need to make any adjustment, it is simple to do. Then you can find out where you have been making a mistake. I have made hundreds using her method and they all come out absolutely perfect !!!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM

I have an easy solution. Invest in a CD called Triangulations 3.0, it's about $30 but well worth it. You can print off many different sizes to make (paper piece) flying geese, HST, and QST. They will come out perfect every time. It's definitely worth the investment and something you will use for many years to come.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
El Burns is my method and I have no problems with them.
That's what I do, too.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 AM

I paper piece so they come out perfect, but I did see a trick at a local quilt store. The owner who is a wonderful seasoned quilter doesn't cut the block that is making the geese, she just folds it over and presses it down. She said "professional" quilters wouldn't agree it is an acceptable method but that is the only thing she has done to make them turn out right. It didn't add an over abundance of bulk and it kept the bias cuts from stretching, producing a perfect triangle.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:02 AM

I will tell you MY solution for bad flying geese-------Use Deb Tucker's Tucker Trimmer Flying Geese ruler (believe her site is Studio 180 Designs)….when I used her rulers, everything comes out perfect……( and I take honors for creative ways of messing up blocks!) Try it…..