Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
These Geese Won't Fly! >

These Geese Won't Fly!

These Geese Won't Fly!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Use to struggle with the geese too, but switched to PP. It's the only way to fly (OK, collective groan here)
Wow, you guys are great! I'm seeing (1) paper piecing, (2) EB Quilt in a Day and (3) Wing Clipper. I'd already decided that working with cut triangles was a problem, so I'm going to suck it up and not worry about "waste" (throwing out a bunch of crummy units is even more waste!).

I've had learning paper piecing on my list for quite a while. Sounds like it's time to get on that. I don't have EQ, but I do have Quilt Pro for Mac and they have something like Triangulations.

Here's my commitment: I'm going to try your suggestions and make a bunch of flying geese with each method. I'll put them together in a block and will post the results. THANK YOU!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM

I do like oversized pieces. I loathe trimming, but it sure does the trick!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I can ONLY do it using the Quilt in a Day flying geese ruler. All other methods result in one short wing for me. I have no idea why. If all else fails, buy the rulers. I hate specialty rulers in general, but these are the only way I can get it done.
You've made my day! A Super Member who had the same problem. I'm checking this out!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 PM

I've made one quilt with flying geese. None of the geese are the same, unless it happened by accident. I put them together into the quilt and am pleased with the quilt. So it's wonky, big deal. It still looks pretty.

But I have sworn off flying geese for the forseeable future, although the thought of paper piecing them is a wee bit intriguing.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM

Are you pressing or ironing? Pressing is up and down, as in lifting the iron up, putting it down, lifting, putting down and pressing down on the fabric,and it flattens the piece. Ironing is side to side and moves the threads out of grain. Press only!!

Last edited by nancia; 01-19-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by nuevaquilter View Post
throwing out a bunch of crummy units is even more waste!.
I don't toss my PP waste. I create crumb blocks with them. When I get bored with seeking perfection I create crumb blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457377[/ATTACH]
These crumb blocks are made from the Celtic Solstice trimmed PP blocks.
Attached Thumbnails matts-quilt-celtic-solstice-crumbs-005.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Deb Tuckers wing clipper is the only way. I have EB flying geese ruler need separate ruler for differents size geese, however the wing clipper is one ruler for many sizes...
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by carmen garcia View Post
Have you tried the big square. You get three flying geese out of each one.
Do you mean the Eleanor Burns method? One square (sky) 1.5" larger than the other (goose) one, sewn, cut, sewn again and trimmed with her ruler, giving 4 identical geese? This works great for me, as you have just enough extra fabric to trim exactly the way you want it.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I don't toss my PP waste. I create crumb blocks with them. When I get bored with seeking perfection I create crumb blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457377[/ATTACH]
These crumb blocks are made from the Celtic Solstice trimmed PP blocks.
You must have been looking over my shoulder. (Or I was looking over yours.) I just finished 42 such crumb blocks, and yours would fit right in with mine. (Yep, I counted 37 pieces, just like mine.) The only thing I did differently was: I started in the middle with a square inch of black (but not square) and built around that. Tomorrow I'm going to be sitting at JoAnn's, putting that thing together in their classroom while we are waiting for about 3 hours between appointments. They said I could do that. I love making crumb blocks.

My corner stones are a two inch square made of at least 3 pieces, and some have as many as seven!

Last edited by maviskw; 01-19-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM

I hated making flying geese until I found paper pieced pattern on quiltview.com I just finished a quilt using this method and I love it. I try and post picture as soon as I learn how to post picture. It was a lot easier to post before all the changes