Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Thickness of vinyl >
  • Thickness of vinyl

• Thickness of vinyl

Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Default Thickness of vinyl

Hi,
    Making a bag to hold my sewing supplies. It had vinyl on the front of the inner pockets so you can see what's inside. I have a couple of yards of vinyl that I bought at JoAnns. Have it cut out but it seems so thin. Anyone make a bag with a vinyl front?? And if so, what kind of vinyl did you use?
    Old 02-16-2019, 12:18 PM
    Power Poster

I haven't used any in so long, i have no names for you. I would mention that I found when sewing on vinyl it helped if i used some tissue paper or other paper under the foot and sewed through it. helped the foot glide easily.
    Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM

I got mine at Joann's. They carry several thicknesses, though, and I couldn't tell you what I have used. Just went to look at it and it has no info on the paper that comes with it (to keep from sticking). Does the pattern not say which thickness to get?

Also, as nativetexan said, if you don't have a teflon foot, you will want to use tissue paper between vinyl and foot. Another option I have heard of is to put scotch tape on the bottom of your foot.
    Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 PM

I've been making bags for a guild boutique and doing many with vinyl with fabric at the top and bottom. I got the vinyl at Walmart (only place nearby to buy it) and on the roll they had several thicknesses--I choose the middle one. Besides the tissue paper trick, I found using those little clips instead of pins is helpful--no pin holes. I finally figured out that the best way to use my ruler on it was to actually stick the vinyl on the back along a line I wanted, and then place it all on the mat--my rulers would just not move on the vinyl.
    Old 02-17-2019, 01:58 AM

I have used vinyl in bags mostly like you are doing for pockets inside a bag. For your application, the "thin" should work just fine. It is only to allow you to see what is in the pocket, and will not really be subject to the stress of say.....the weight of what is in the pocket pulling on the seams. Hope I said that correctly....The tips others have offered on sewing with vinyl is very good so other than saying clips are better than pins, I won't repeat. Here is a link to some zippered pouches I make that I use the thin vinyl in and it works great. And this binder that uses vinyl....for these thin is better.

https://atkinsondesigns.com/products/classmate-pattern

https://atkinsondesigns.com/products...gettes-pattern
    Old 02-17-2019, 07:20 AM

I recently bought some vinyl to make cross stitch project bags. The tutorial I watched suggested 8 gauge vinyl and that's what I bought.
    Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 AM

I just buy the vinyl for upholstery normally. I did buy the clear vinyl from Wal Marts to do a nail bag, I dont know the thickness but it shows using it for chairs, boats etc. It seemed thin but stitched up really nicely. Test sew some to see if you think it'll work
    Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 AM

I could be mistaken but I think I used a size "8" Gauge vinyl from JoAnn to make my pouches for a notions case with several pockets. ( As Murphy 224 stated if you are just using it to let you view what is inside, it should be fine.)