Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble alternatives. >

Thimble alternatives.

Thimble alternatives.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 AM

I have finaly found a thimble that fits from Fonns and Porter, it is soft plastic on the sides and metal tip. Very comfortable to wear. I am a hand quilter and at times have a problem pulling the needle thru so incut off the fingers from regular household rubber gloves . Sometimes I wear it on my finger and sometimes I just use it as is.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 AM

I'm with you Vondae. I love the Clover thimble. They are soft, comfortable, and stay on my finger with never falling off. I have the yellow one as I have big fingers, and like you, I have more than one so I don't have to hunt!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 AM

My favorite thimble is a Tommy Lane Thimble, available at quilt shows and made to fit your finger.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:12 AM

I have a very small pair of thermostats I use to pull the needle through several thicknesses of fabric...works like a charm
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lavada View Post
I use the finger of a rubber glove with a piece of a Tupperware shaped like the end of my finger inside I use my index finger and thumb so the glove finger helps to grip the needle to pull thru the layers of fabric works for me
This is what I use, except I put a bit of leather inside. The leather conforms to my finger in a very short time, and when the rubber glove "finger" stretches out so it is loose, just cut another finger. I have several fingerless gloves around!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:06 AM

Theses are the only one that actually stay on my finger. I have to use a small, peach color. Small hands LOL!

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
I like the Clover Protect & Grip Thimble. The medium (pink) one. It is a rubbery silicone base with a metal tip on it. It stays on my finger really well. I have many other metal ones that were my mothers (she always used one when sewing), but they never fit right. I have a few of the Clover ones so that I can keep one in my travel kit as well as a couple around my sewing room. I'm always putting one down somewhere, then it take me a little while to find it again. I'm sure I'm the only one who ever does this. Ha Ha!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 AM

I could not use a metal thimble but then I found the light blue Comfort Thimbles. They come in S, M, and L. I would not do any hand quilting without one.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 AM

I use my acrylic nails...
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM

I like a thimble with the ridge around the top to keep the needle from slipping off. But now they are made of Zink I don't like that and my fingers don't either. I would like the old metal like they used to be made from. Any one know of a brand that doesn't use zink.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM

Here is one that I have used for over 50 years and it still works.

Cut a small piece of leather (I like a soft leather that will wrap around) coat the back with 'Rubber Cement' and place it on the part of the finger that you use for pushing the needle. It takes about 10 minutes to dry, which gives me the time to gather all the things that I need and get ready for the needlework. It will stay put until you are ready to take it off. It is easy to peal it off your finger when you are finished. You can still do other things and leave it on. I left one for over a day.