Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • thimbles for quilting >
  • thimbles for quilting

• thimbles for quilting

Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 PM

I took a class from Phyllis Klein years ago and she taught us to use a thimble on our right hand (pushing finger) and one on the left as the receiving finger. We were told to wear them around the house a few days to get the feel of them. Oh, and the tops of the thimbles had a recess with the edge on the left hand (I am right handed) and the needle would slide off the edge. I've used this method ever since and love it. My fingers don't get sore very easy and yes it did take a few sessions for me to get used to it. I also used the recessed top edge ones on my right hand also. I've tried many thimbles and this works the best for me. I don't know many quilters that do this.
    Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 AM

Welcome to the board. You can get just about all the help you need from the quilters here; there're great.
    I only hand quilt and I use the Aunt Becky. Once you get the hang of it, you can quilt as long as you like without any sore fingers.
    Good luck. Pam
    Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 AM

I have tried all types of thimbles underneath and still need to feel the needle, I even thought if I got a soft leather one it would work not luck. I just bought the aunt beck and have watched the video, can't wait to try it otherwise I still have to use the tape.
    Old 11-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Does it matter if your thimble is sterling silver or stainless steal? I need a new thimble and would like something pretty, but some are really expensive. Do the porcelain ones work as well as the metal? Mine is just plastic and I stepped on it yesterday. Gwyn
    Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

Not any help from me either. My right middle finger has the spot from all the poking. If I cannot feel the needle, I am not sure it is actually going through all three layers.
    Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 PM

I haven't tried the porcelain, but stainless is fine. I might get my husband to give me a sterling sometime as a gift, but it is not a necessity.
    Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Does it matter if your thimble is sterling silver or stainless steal? I need a new thimble and would like something pretty, but some are really expensive. Do the porcelain ones work as well as the metal? Mine is just plastic and I stepped on it yesterday. Gwyn
    Old 11-15-2009, 01:35 PM

http://www.houseofquilting.com/handh...ng-thimble.php

Look at the hand held thimble on this site. I actually have one but haven't used it in a very long time.
    Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 AM

I hand quilt as well. I have been using the fingers out of the platex gloves you use for washing dishes. I just buy the size that fits my fingers snugly.
    I cut off the finger close the hand part of the glove. This fits over which ever finger you need it to fit. I like this because I can still feel what I am doing and have my finger protected at the same time.
    Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 AM

Chamby, the needle doesn't poke through? I know with my tape I end up hitting the same place everytime and it will eventually poke through. I have to change the tape about every hour of quilting.
    Originally Posted by chamby
    I hand quilt as well. I have been using the fingers out of the platex gloves you use for washing dishes. I just buy the size that fits my fingers snugly.
    I cut off the finger close the hand part of the glove. This fits over which ever finger you need it to fit. I like this because I can still feel what I am doing and have my finger protected at the same time.
    Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 AM

I hand piece and quilt and when my non-thimble fingers get sore I put masking tape around my fingers to keep them from getting so sore. I find I don't have to replace the tape often at all and with a little lotion the sticky comes right off.