Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thimbles for quilting

Hello everyone. This is the first time I have asked a question and look forward to sharing with you. I quilt only by hand. As a right-handed person, I use a thimble on my right index finger. So far, so good! I need to use a protection for my left index finger which feels the needle coming through the layers and guides it back up again. I have been using an ultra thimble metal circle protector which adheres by a self-adhesive circle inside the metal. This self-adhesive piece needs to be re-placed fairly frequently and is therefore not convenient. Does anyone have an alternate suggestion?
    I look forward to your help. Thanks in advance.
    Phyllis
    [email protected]

Sorry I can't help - I use my middle finger of my left hand to feel the needle comin through - it is VERY sore by the time a quilt is finished but I have to be able to feel the needle or I just can't get it - - - welcome to the board.

Don't know much about thimbles, I'm not a hand quilter but I wanted to Welcome you to the board from Southern California!!

Welcome to the board :lol: I have hand quilted some, I'm left handed, so I put one thimble on my index finger and one on my rt. second finger, so I can push it back thru. I don't know if I'm doing it right,but that's how I do it.

Blog Entries
    Try cleaning your finger with alcohol first before using the adhesive, it will stick longer. I don't do much hand quilting but when I do I use one of the small dot bandaids for my underneath finger.

DJ
    I've recently been using a few strips of my 1/4" tape on my underneath finger. Just throw it away at the end of a quilting session.

I use nexicare fleixible clear tape. I buy it at the drug store where the bandaids are sold. Johnson and Johnson use to have one that was much better, but cannot find it any longer. It will wear out quickly but not as expensive as the self adhesive pads. I have used it for over 20 years. It works for me. Don't use the cloth or paper tape they seem to shread really bad and the needle will get caught it the cloth. I hope this helps.

Have you tried using the Aunt Becky??????? Just google it in there is a video to watch. Hope this helps.

I found a great thimble to wear on my left hand. It helps me push the fabric up a bit so I can catch a very few threads for very small stitches. Since it is hard for me to see and I do almost everything by touch, I appreciate how this thimble covers so much of my finger. Check it out. You can try it for free (I think).

http://momsmagicthimble.com/

Gwyn

I have always used a thimble on the left hand to help get the needle back up. I'm not sure where I got mind but it very smooth on top and if it is at the right angle the needle slides right back up.
    I could never use the end of the thimble, so I use a tailor's thimble to quilt with. It has the end out and nice deep indentions in the side.

I took a class from Phyllis Klein years ago and she taught us to use a thimble on our right hand (pushing finger) and one on the left as the receiving finger. We were told to wear them around the house a few days to get the feel of them. Oh, and the tops of the thimbles had a recess with the edge on the left hand (I am right handed) and the needle would slide off the edge. I've used this method ever since and love it. My fingers don't get sore very easy and yes it did take a few sessions for me to get used to it. I also used the recessed top edge ones on my right hand also. I've tried many thimbles and this works the best for me. I don't know many quilters that do this.

Welcome to the board. You can get just about all the help you need from the quilters here; there're great.
    I only hand quilt and I use the Aunt Becky. Once you get the hang of it, you can quilt as long as you like without any sore fingers.
    Good luck. Pam

I have tried all types of thimbles underneath and still need to feel the needle, I even thought if I got a soft leather one it would work not luck. I just bought the aunt beck and have watched the video, can't wait to try it otherwise I still have to use the tape.

Does it matter if your thimble is sterling silver or stainless steal? I need a new thimble and would like something pretty, but some are really expensive. Do the porcelain ones work as well as the metal? Mine is just plastic and I stepped on it yesterday. Gwyn

Not any help from me either. My right middle finger has the spot from all the poking. If I cannot feel the needle, I am not sure it is actually going through all three layers.

I haven't tried the porcelain, but stainless is fine. I might get my husband to give me a sterling sometime as a gift, but it is not a necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn
    Does it matter if your thimble is sterling silver or stainless steal? I need a new thimble and would like something pretty, but some are really expensive. Do the porcelain ones work as well as the metal? Mine is just plastic and I stepped on it yesterday. Gwyn

http://www.houseofquilting.com/handh...ng-thimble.php

Look at the hand held thimble on this site. I actually have one but haven't used it in a very long time.

Blog Entries
    I hand quilt as well. I have been using the fingers out of the platex gloves you use for washing dishes. I just buy the size that fits my fingers snugly.
    I cut off the finger close the hand part of the glove. This fits over which ever finger you need it to fit. I like this because I can still feel what I am doing and have my finger protected at the same time.

Chamby, the needle doesn't poke through? I know with my tape I end up hitting the same place everytime and it will eventually poke through. I have to change the tape about every hour of quilting.
    Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    I hand quilt as well. I have been using the fingers out of the platex gloves you use for washing dishes. I just buy the size that fits my fingers snugly.
    I cut off the finger close the hand part of the glove. This fits over which ever finger you need it to fit. I like this because I can still feel what I am doing and have my finger protected at the same time.

I hand piece and quilt and when my non-thimble fingers get sore I put masking tape around my fingers to keep them from getting so sore. I find I don't have to replace the tape often at all and with a little lotion the sticky comes right off.

Blog Entries
    If you are not using this finger for pushing the needle it will not poke through until the finger wears thin. I usually get use just one finger when quilting a small project. Remember I use this on mine finger that I am feeling for the needle on the underside just as a guide, not to push the needle through.

I have some special pink tape that I use in place of a thimble.. it lasts well and just toss it when I'm through.. Occasionally I do punch through it. I have also used the smallest Nexcare bandaids and they are awesome also... I hate thimbles.. to answer the other question.. you can use porcelain thimbles, but as a rule the dimples in them are pretty shallow and the needle will frequently slip out of them.

I have a black leather thimble that has a metal strip imbedded in between two leather pieces just at the top portion of the finger. I can't remember the name of the brand but the leather is very comfortable on my finger and the metal provides just the right amount of protection.

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    Sorry I can't help - I use my middle finger of my left hand to feel the needle comin through - it is VERY sore by the time a quilt is finished but I have to be able to feel the needle or I just can't get it - - - welcome to the board.
    This is so me too:)! I have tried and tried different thimbles, etc on my left hand, but, if I can't feel the needle, I am not sure it is going thru right;)So, w/a sore finger I go!:)I do know some use the 'aunt becky' and the old timers here use a back of a spoon! Prob the same affect as becky:)What I do find interesting, (and first let me say to anyone what works for you, do it!....)is you have a thimble on your right hand index finger...how do you pull or handle the needle? I wear mine on my middle finger to push the needle thru...took awhile for me to get use to wearing one, but, now that I do....I have even run to town on errands and realized half way thru...I was still wearing it!:)Skeat

I bit the bullet and purchased this lady's method

http://www.thimblelady.com.au/catego...ting-Packages/

after suffering with pretty severe pain in my right wrist and LH fingers. I cannot say enough good things about it. Not only is my quilting better and prettier, more even, but I have no pain anymore.

The system is awesome. My daughter had never quilted before, and I taught her the method, and this is her first result

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/24111.page

I think her stitches look very professional, even if she is my daughter!

This Christmas, I bought the sterling silver thimble for both her and myself!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast